CSipSimple for Android

Any suggestion welcome
CraigTPE

CSipSimple for Android

Post by CraigTPE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:58 am

Please move this post if it's in the wrong forum.

I just switched from iPhone to Android (HTC Desire HD) and installed CSipSimple to connect to my GV + SipSorcery + Sipgate VoIP calling solution, and I couldn't be more impressed with how easy it was to setup and how crystal clear the sound quality is. CSipSimple has a profile already for SipSorcery, making the connection as easy as entering your login and password. Doesn't get any better than this...

ian-chard

Re: CSipSimple for Android

Post by ian-chard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:52 am

I have been an android user for quite a while now and have been utterly impressed with this specific application. Out of the box, you just need to get to the market and download this one off. There are also settings for SipSorcery so you do not need to worry about system configurations and making another profile so that you could connect. Just log-in and you are good to go.

CraigTPE

Post by CraigTPE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm

After using it a while, my opinion has changed. The UI is great, the setup is easy and works well over wireless, but couldn't get it to work at all over 3G. I couldn't hear anything and the person on the other end just got static. E-mailed the developer 2 days ago but no reply. Switched back to SipDroid.

fixup77

Post by fixup77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 pm

I've been using CSipSimple over 3g (EVDO) without any problem. You need do these:

Activate G729 only, deactivate all others.
Use STUN, if your 3g connection does not get a public IP address.
Use TCP instead of UDP, unselect "allow contact rewrite".
Set register timeout to 3600, Mobile keep alive 0.

CraigTPE

Post by CraigTPE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 pm

fixup77 wrote:I've been using CSipSimple over 3g (EVDO) without any problem. You need do these:

Activate G729 only, deactivate all others.
Use STUN, if your 3g connection does not get a public IP address.
Use TCP instead of UDP, unselect "allow contact rewrite".
Set register timeout to 3600, Mobile keep alive 0.
Thank you for this information. I will try it out.

But since the original post, there was an app that was released that can connect directly to Google Voice without requiring any intermediary. It uses Google Chat as the callback. GrooVe IP. I've not used it extensively, but so far it works OK on 3G. Not great, but OK.

fixup77

Post by fixup77 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Grooveip or gtalk uses g711 exclusively, not reliable on 3g.