Which SIP software do you use for iPhone?

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP

Acrobits Softphone
75%
Nimbuzz
No votes
Fring
25%

Total votes: 4

Raqib12

Post by Raqib12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Personally, I use Acrobits Softphone, its stable, looks really nice; and it's cheap. I used to use Nimbuzz, but, I got so frustrated with it, it was ridiculous.

---
Acrobits Softphone
---
Nimbuzz
---
Fring
---

nostartnoend

Post by nostartnoend » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Your post was the first I've heard of Acrobits. Looks slick. I see they also develop the Gizmo client (which costs a fairly hefty $6) for the iPhone.

I've been using Fring and have been quite pleased so far. It's important to use *only* the SIP add-on; to use any combination of the IM add-ons alongside will cause the app to freeze after about 5 minutes of talking.

Keep in mind that sipGate has also released its own (free) VoIP client for the iPhone. I haven't used it to call or be called yet, and it's crashed on me once or twice while tinkering with the settings, but the layout is fairly nice.
CallCentric, Sipgate UK/DE, Voip.ms and Vyke amalgamated via SIP Sorcery. Previously had a DrayTek 2130Vn VoIP router; now I have an OBi200.

Raqib12

Post by Raqib12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:58 am

nostartnoend wrote:Your post was the first I've heard of Acrobits. Looks slick. I see they also develop the Gizmo client (which costs a fairly hefty $6) for the iPhone.

I've been using Fring and have been quite pleased so far. It's important to use *only* the SIP add-on; to use any combination of the IM add-ons alongside will cause the app to freeze after about 5 minutes of talking.

Keep in mind that sipGate has also released its own (free) VoIP client for the iPhone. I haven't used it to call or be called yet, and it's crashed on me once or twice while tinkering with the settings, but the layout is fairly nice.
Yeah, I found Acrobits Softphone merely by chance, but I'm REALLY glad that I did, it's a phenomenal application. Though, all of Acrobits programs seem to look exactly the same, I saw another one that was free, but it got a low score on the AppStore.

I tried searching for SIPGate, and it didn't come up on the AppStore; what is the application's name? Because the only other explanation I can think of, is that it's not in the US AppStore.

nostartnoend

Post by nostartnoend » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 am

Raqib12 wrote:The only other explanation I can think of, is that it's not in the US AppStore.
You might be right. I alternate between the German and US stores, so it might have only been on offer in the former. I've noticed that my sipgate.de credentials are the ones I've stored in app itself, which could be the big clue, but I also seem to remember being able to enter my US l/p on launch if I'd wanted to.

Actually, a double-check revealed that, no, it's definitely not on the US App Store. Here's the link on the sipgate.de website:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 55428&mt=8
CallCentric, Sipgate UK/DE, Voip.ms and Vyke amalgamated via SIP Sorcery. Previously had a DrayTek 2130Vn VoIP router; now I have an OBi200.

lisa28j

Re: Which SIP software do you use for iPhone?

Post by lisa28j » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:21 am

My opinion for you will mainly depend on your requirements. Like you want to browse websites through your iphone. Do you want to use it with GPS receiver? Is your blutooth serial with IG08 Maps or others? And based on these specifications I will vote for Acrobits Softphone.

CraigTPE

Re: Which SIP software do you use for iPhone?

Post by CraigTPE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:58 am

When I was on iPhone, I first used iSip to connect to my GV-SipSorcery-Sipgate solution. Worked fine.

Then I came across Talkatone, a GTalk client, eliminating the need for a separate DID like SIpGate and an intermediary like SipSorcery. Worked like a charm, but then I changed to an Android phone and Talkatone hasn't released an Android app yet.