the foru catagories of SIP users(as I see it)

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
satphoneguy

the foru catagories of SIP users(as I see it)

Post by satphoneguy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:50 pm

i see four main groups of people using SIP; and expect these foru groups to continue to dominate.

1. the hobbyist(i put myself in this category): our use is mostly driven by curiosity. we are a kind of modern day equivalent of the HAM radio enthusiast. we like to experiment with all technologies and particularly like using things for unintended purposes such as hooking together multiple SIP services with mysipswitch to forward calls so we can dial local numbers to reach foreign destinations. this group may be reaching its peak of users. more than other group we have peer to peer conversations without pstn termination. we spend a lot of time in forum such as this one.

2. the only about the money group(many are our friends): this is the group who only interest in VOIP is to lower there expense on phone calls or to talk more on the same budget. many of these people learn about SIP from members of group one. often the sip settings, port, stun, etc. are quite a hassle that these people would rather not deal with but are willing to for the monetary savings only. many use sipbroker break-in numbers. overall i find that most in this group become quite disappointed when they find out that they do not save over using the scratch off prepaid calling cards that they have used for years to call overseas or save on long distance. they hear about free voip and do not realize at first that this does not mean they can call free to expensive pstn destinations. this group might frequent these forum but it is for very practical reasons not out of curiosity.

3. landline replacement: this is the biggest group of users and is dominated by commercial services such as vonage(in the US) many of these networks are closed off to sip calling even though they use sip technology. in the future things will become very blurred and customers will have no idea if the phone they are picking up is VOIP or traditional. as someone wanting to see a world of free communications this is the group that i wish had never developed. i would like to see to total elimination of the phone bill; these services slow down progress in that direction. users switch from traditional to these services for price and features. while most of these services use sip they could just as easily use any technology and it would be of no concern at all to there customers.

4. the enterprise market: this is similar to above but involves IP PBXs replacing traditional PBXs. most users will not know that anything has changed and there will be no sip dialing except by a few of us in group 1 who have managed to map call through enum to these destinations. this is all about adding functionality and features along with unified communication mechanisms to the corporate environment. in many case there will be no cost savings but rather a more sophisticate phone system to will hopefully increase productivity.

i only talked about sip above. there is also pure peer to peer(pc2pc) voip. this market is dominated by skype. this also catagory also includes IM platforms like gtalk, aim, msn, yahoo(i know the last two use SIP but it is of such a proprietary nature that i do not really consider it as such)

what did i miss here? or did i get it completely wrong?

happy calling

spg

TheFug

Re: the foru catagories of SIP users(as I see it)

Post by TheFug » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:54 pm

satphoneguy wrote:i see four main groups of people using SIP; and expect these foru groups to continue to dominate.

1. the hobbyist(i put myself in this category): our use is mostly driven by curiosity. we are a kind of modern day equivalent of the HAM radio enthusiast. we like to experiment with all technologies and particularly like using things for unintended purposes such as hooking together multiple SIP services with mysipswitch to forward calls so we can dial local numbers to reach foreign destinations. this group may be reaching its peak of users. more than other group we have peer to peer conversations without pstn termination. we spend a lot of time in forum such as this one.
Yes, somehow, the pc also replaced the soldering iron, and all things made, are in code now, which is a little bit the down side of it. (I liked making physical things with my hands)
satphoneguy wrote:
2. the only about the money group(many are our friends): this is the group who only interest in VOIP is to lower there expense on phone calls or to talk more on the same budget. many of these people learn about SIP from members of group one. often the sip settings, port, stun, etc. are quite a hassle that these people would rather not deal with but are willing to for the monetary savings only. many use sipbroker break-in numbers. overall i find that most in this group become quite disappointed when they find out that they do not save over using the scratch off prepaid calling cards that they have used for years to call overseas or save on long distance. they hear about free voip and do not realize at first that this does not mean they can call free to expensive pstn destinations. this group might frequent these forum but it is for very practical reasons not out of curiosity.
I guess you should not discriminate these people for that, It's there where the two groups can help each other...
satphoneguy wrote: 3. landline replacement: this is the biggest group of users and is dominated by commercial services such as vonage(in the US) many of these networks are closed off to sip calling even though they use sip technology. in the future things will become very blurred and customers will have no idea if the phone they are picking up is VOIP or traditional. as someone wanting to see a world of free communications this is the group that i wish had never developed. i would like to see to total elimination of the phone bill; these services slow down progress in that direction. users switch from traditional to these services for price and features. while most of these services use sip they could just as easily use any technology and it would be of no concern at all to there customers.
Most of the time these people take a provider, who they pay a monthly rate, just like a GSM/Cellphone provider, and not nearly as cheap, but the "work" is taken out of their hands.. at a price...
satphoneguy wrote: 4. the enterprise market: this is similar to above but involves IP PBXs replacing traditional PBXs. most users will not know that anything has changed and there will be no sip dialing except by a few of us in group 1 who have managed to map call through enum to these destinations. this is all about adding functionality and features along with unified communication mechanisms to the corporate environment. in many case there will be no cost savings but rather a more sophisticate phone system to will hopefully increase productivity.
Also a good reason to use VoIP/SIP ! conference, with image transmission, Instant Messages, FAX.
satphoneguy wrote:
i only talked about sip above. there is also pure peer to peer(pc2pc) voip. this market is dominated by skype. this also catagory also includes IM platforms like gtalk, aim, msn, yahoo(i know the last two use SIP but it is of such a proprietary nature that i do not really consider it as such)
Skype Installs very easy! because of its port use, but at the same time it's also a security risk, on the pc/network...
satphoneguy wrote: what did i miss here? or did i get it completely wrong?
You did not miss much, but i guess the different interest groups in VoIP/SIP, the hobbyist, and money/maker/savers, doo can help each other, each with their own knowledge, in how they use their part of the VoIP/SIP technology
satphoneguy wrote:
happy calling

spg
And testing ! :)
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

hkr

Re: the foru catagories of SIP users(as I see it)

Post by hkr » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:54 pm

satphoneguy wrote:
I would like to know how many of us are/were actually also HAM radio enthusiasts. :-) Count me as one, I am still also active on air. And satphoneguy's description truly suits me, this is why I do it. Not to talk, in fact I hate talking on the phone, yet I constantly have about 6 mobiles with me all offering some nice special features or rates :-)

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Same here ... With HAM you mean with license, because, i just happen to hear (when i was a teen) people "talking" in the 100-104 Mhz freq. range, and my first transmitter was a FM oscillator, which i "pumped" with some 4.5 batteries to 35 volts (in serial config.) later i build a twin triode osc. (tube e88cc) which could give .5 watts it was fun, for as long as it took, never got caught, although some close to my location did.... later with the arival of cable, some smart people beamed in with a boosted rf modulator, after tv close down, or some home PLL fet osc. A2 modulated (5 mc sub.carreer)
but they soon locked out signals that didn't transmitted the teletext/ceefax signals.... those where the days... well for everything ther is a "season" i guess, all moves on, i believe there are now sat-pirates who use C-band for coms....
Btw. i guess i should make a picture of my GSM phone collection :) do i phone much.......? uh ... no....:)
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D