the euro number

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
satphoneguy

the euro number

Post by satphoneguy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:55 am

this is a concept for something better than t-pad or voxalot breakin number and a lot less confusing than having seperate DIDs in each country you frequent or have freequent callers from. i call it the 'euro number' and this is how it would work:

first you would probably have to be a major telecom player to pull this off. you would issue number that would be prefix differently(along national lines) in several different countries but the end of the number would always be the same and it would automatically work in every 'euro number' memeber country. for example you might be asigned number 3334444. in germany it would be dialable as +49xxx3334444 in UK +44xxx3334444, etc, etc hopefully in lots of countries. they would be part of a set of national numbering for VOIP(begining to be used i european countries already) that are charged at local or national landline rates. unlike a sipbroker or t-pad number they can be dialed easily from speeddial and given out without instructions. of course in those countries where it would not be feasible(ex. the US has never allowed anything other than geo numbering) we could have t-pad style breakin's.

spg

p.s. could blueface pull this off? would you even want to try?

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:26 pm

can this be routed, at all ? i guess only by internet/voip not by normal lines....
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: the euro number

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:05 pm

satphoneguy wrote:p.s. could blueface pull this off? would you even want to try?
It would be tough and take a lot of work. Probably not.

Looks like one company is trying though:
http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/02 ... 01MSWE.doc

Also this may be of interest:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/universalnumbers/uifn/

Regards,

Aaron

satphoneguy

Post by satphoneguy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:35 pm

i have been aware of international freephone. the voxbone initiative is intersting though. they appear to be big and growing in the voip did bussiness. the thing is though is it is outside of the national numbering plans will anyon offer reasonable priced termination? i certainly have noticed that with +800 the rates seems to carry a significant premuim over national toll free numbers in each country.

if the rates can be kept close to local(or national LD) rates this could an attractive marketing machine for some VOIP players. although voxbone's request for only 5 unigue digits does not show them having big plans for this. if skype was to issue a number to every member that would need 9 digits right there.

getting back to the internatioanl freephone if i could find one that charged me inbound rates similar to termination charges i pay today(2 cents or less for most major economic centers;more for cell phones) and a low or no monthly fee i would have signed up a long time ago. i can not find one that i pay four times what i pay for termination. they are litterally charging 1000% premuim.

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:52 pm

btw. how are the mechanics in the usa, i've got a local rate Washington telephone number, (IPkall) will this mean people (in Washington) can call me for free ? because i understand, local calling is free in the USA ?
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

satphoneguy

Post by satphoneguy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:07 pm

TheFug wrote:btw. how are the mechanics in the usa, i've got a local rate Washington telephone number, (IPkall) will this mean people (in Washington) can call me for free ? because i understand, local calling is free in the USA ?
from landlines you have a 'local calling area' the size of this area can depend on the plan that you choose. for example in ft. lauderdale, fl ofor a low price you can get only ft. lauderdale for a little more per month you also get miami and palm beach. it is also becoming more common to buy landline service with unlimited 'long distance' meaning all of usa free. often but not always the free area is others with matching area code(first 3 numbers) but these days there are big cities with 2 or 3 area codes and some low population states with one area code for the whole state(than the prefix or next 3 nubers determines if the call is free or not)

with cell phones you used to pay long distance as well. but these days 98% of cell phones have 'unlimited long distance' that means every call in the country is charged the same airtime rate. this same charge is for incoming and outgoing calls. in most cases it is not a charge but a depletion from included minutes on youyr plan. for example you subscribe to a 1500(if it looks like a lot it is because american talk A LOT MORE on the phone than other people; lots of people with this plan go over the minutes) minute a month plan and call are than deducted. if you do not have enopugh minutes it can get very expensive. add on minutes range from 30 cents to one dollar.

spg

p.s. to answer your questions calls that are local are always free from landlines. there are no option where you pay for every call.

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:05 pm

For one part a USA landline, looks a bit like GSM here in the Netherlands,
But main landline here, is just KPN, all calls are charged, out of region is just higher in price, and after 1900h is cheap rate time, until early morning...
GSM is a monthly sub. fee jungle, or different prepay offers, for those who don't phone that much( by GSM/cellphone)
(You can get different offerings from KPN now, though....)
Thanks, The Fug.