SIP provider with CID passed through?

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
hkr

SIP provider with CID passed through?

Post by hkr » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 am

Hello,

Is there a SIP provider which allows the pass-through of caller-IDs? I would like to forward my incoming SIP calls to my mobile, and would like to see who is calling.

Betamax only passes through the CID if I have authenticated the given CID with them. So I wonder if there is any provider who forwards "whatever" CID.

hkr

satphoneguy

Re: SIP provider with CID passed through?

Post by satphoneguy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:58 pm

hkr wrote:Hello,

Is there a SIP provider which allows the pass-through of caller-IDs? I would like to forward my incoming SIP calls to my mobile, and would like to see who is calling.

Betamax only passes through the CID if I have authenticated the given CID with them. So I wonder if there is any provider who forwards "whatever" CID.

hkr
there are; perhaps most allow this. the thing is that none of the ones that do are not in the category of 'inexpensive' at least not that i have found. how about using call forwarding within one of the provider and than sending calls the the SIP URI of that provider? that is how i achieve the same thing and have caller ID come thorugh. i also believe that is you are using a betamax provider that eliminates the FUP as an issue. for example if you have a sipsomething account with the name user. than you would set up in sipsomething to have all calls forwarded to your mobile(it seems like lots(maybe most) providers have this feature). than you forward all calls you want to ring your mobile to user@sipsomething.com. of course the limitation is that you will not be able to use the provider for any other inbound calls; but outbound should work fine in most cases.

elwebmaster

Re: SIP provider with CID passed through?

Post by elwebmaster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:45 am

satphoneguy wrote: i also believe that is you are using a betamax provider that eliminates the FUP as an issue. for example if you have a sipsomething account with the name user. than you would set up in sipsomething to have all calls forwarded to your mobile(it seems like lots(maybe most) providers have this feature). than you forward all calls you want to ring your mobile to user@sipsomething.com. of course the limitation is that you will not be able to use the provider for any other inbound calls; but outbound should work fine in most cases.
I am getting FUP with SMSDiscount using the method described above.
hkr wrote: Hello,

hkr
If the call is incoming to your SIP doesn't that mean that the caller-ID will not be necessarily digits? How do you expect to pass a username as CID from SIP to a PSTN?
There probably are providers allowing you to set any CID for the outgoing calls, but may be it would have to be a verified CID. Otherwise, from the ones I know: Gizmo5 allows you to set any CID (paid feature) and Voxeo (not a SIP provider) allows you to set any CID for the outgoing calls on per call basis (i.e. exactly what you are asking for if I understand you properly).
Most providers would let you use a DID purchased from them as outgoing CID.
Are you receiving your calls directly to your SIP URI or are you using a DID?