IP calling in D-Link VTA-VD?

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
rnapolean

IP calling in D-Link VTA-VD?

Post by rnapolean » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 am

I just got an unlocked Vonage D-link VTA-VD. The sound quality is rather good but I got a few concerns about the features. I have been trying to forward calls directly to the ATA in IPKall via SIP URI. The phone rings but when it was picked up the calling end either got disconnected or continued ringing. I am just wondering whether this ATA is capable of making and receiving IP calling? I have enabled DDNS and forwarded port 5060 to my ATA in the router.

Since it does not have a speed dial entry in the web configuration page. I think i will have to add some thing like below to make a SIP URI call but i am still struggling with the | problem in dialplan editing so could not try it.

Code: Select all

|<111:myusername@sipprovider.com:5060>
Can anyone enlight me with solutions for making and receiving SIP URI call in this ATA? Thanks.

Update: I did more testing and the receiving end can actually hear my voice when i call the ATA but I can't hear anything so I guess a STUN server might be necessary but i could not find such option through the web configuration page. Anyone knows how to solve it? Thanks.

bridonca

Re: IP calling in D-Link VTA-VD?

Post by bridonca » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Hopefully you have a good router, specifically one that will actually forward the ports you selected to the destination you selected. Sadly, that is not always a given.

I am a huge fan of DD-WRT, if you can install that on your router, it makes SIP VOIP routing over NAT much more sane.

As for your ATA, I have no idea how good it is, I do know that most ATA's work fine, it is usually the router that causes the problems.

See if you can find a RTP port on your ATA. When you do find it, forward that port from your router to your ATA. I would not waste my time forwarding port 5060, your SIP traffic already knows where to go, your incoming RTP audio traffic is the issue.

You might have to lower the registration time. Some routers are good enough to "forget" where to route the traffic after as little as 2 minutes. If you send a keep alive packet every 2 minutes, the router keeps that route. You probably do not have to do this if your ports are already correctly assigned.

As for STUN, on the whole, it is pretty close to useless. It certainly will not fix your NAT problems, but it will tell the ATA what type of NAT you have if you have the correct ports forwarded. And if you have the correct ports forwarded, why do you need STUN?

Damon

Re: IP calling in D-Link VTA-VD?

Post by Damon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I will also suggest you to use a good router for VOIP as it helps in quick and efficient calling and receiving of IP calls.I have a similar system installed on my system and i don't face any of the issues you have mentioned.