SIPGATE going out of biz ...

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
rnio

SIPGATE going out of biz ...

Post by rnio » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 am

Hi There,

I am looking for some feedback / alternatives.

I currently use SIPGATE / LOCALPHONE / SS for my daily phone needs.

SIPGATE had incoming numbers, which I used to "marry" with SS for call processing / forwarding. (calls end either in SS or on a PAP device)

LOACLPHONE I use for all outgoing calls ... they are very cheap :)

SS is my call "manager" with advanced call processing features.

Q: Do you any other VOIP service, which gives you free call-in numbers ... and allow you to have them end in SS / or PAP device without any cost.

LOCALPHONE has call-in # ... but they cost 1$ per month ... and they charge for any calls coming in and forwarded to another line.

They do have the ability to forward to a SIP-URI ... but this needs to be a "hard-coded" IP address.

Q: How "stable" is the sipsorcery.com IP ? ... does it change every 6 month or so ?

I ask, because I am going to hook a few lines into this setup ... and hate when ALL go down the same time.

Q: Any suggestion how I can integrate a pre-call processor e.g. "Press #1 for sales ... #2 for ..."

Thanks for any feedback / suggestions you can give.

Robert

luckycharms

Re: SIPGATE going out of biz ...

Post by luckycharms » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi all,

Same question here more or less. Was using sipgate for incoming from GV and otherwise, and now need an alternative. Any suggestions welcome!

thanks!

mobilebone

Post by mobilebone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Add me to the bunch. Been using Sipgate/GV/Sipsorcery.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:21 am

Callcentric offer free incoming US DIDs as do http://switch2voip.us/.

The SIPSorcery IP address (67.222.131.147) is not expected to change at all in the medium term. Of course something unforeseen could happen like a hosting provider going out of business but I rate the chances of that as very low.

rnio

Post by rnio » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks ... this should help :)

wombat

Post by wombat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 am

Aaron,
That switch2voip wants you too setup funds, minimum of $25,than they will let you register plus that free DID they give you,you pay for incoming calls.Just for info,as they do not make that know very well.

luckycharms

Post by luckycharms » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Aaron. Any ideas about quality differences between callcentric vs switch2voip? Just signed up for callcentric - seems like their free numbers are only good for a couple weeks at a time?

Switched to ipkall in the meantime. Doesn't seem horrible, but don't like the 30-day timeout, and all my calls now have the ipkall number as the caller id.

EDIT: Got a response from callcentric about this. Here's their response:

Regarding to the date that you are seeing; this date is simply referring to the current billing period, this is not when your number will expire. Your free DID should carry over to the next month automatically; it should remain under your account, until you set the number to cancel out yourself.

*** Please note that there is a special limitation with our free DID product, specifically as mentioned on our products page (http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number):

Each Free Phone Number must receive call(s) from the PSTN totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months; or they may be removed from your account without warning.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 pm

I can't really comment on which provider is better as I only utilise them for testing purposes.

In regards to any limit on the callcentric DID I've had mine since they originally offered the free ones which I think must be close to a year ago now and it hasn't expired. I also avail of a free callcentric voicemail box which likewise I've never had any issues with.

beaver

Post by beaver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 pm

How about IPKall?

I have been using it for incoming DID.

luckycharms

Post by luckycharms » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 pm

I've been having problems with callcentric. switch2voip.us requires depositing $ to start an account, so back to ipkall it is...