Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Share your views, news, tips and articles about VoIP
armbel

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Post by armbel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:42 am

according to here http://nerdvittles.com/?p=5758 and here http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/importan ... voice.html .Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice on May 15, 2014.it seems we might be affected,can anyone explain??
Thanks
Last edited by armbel on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voi

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:24 am

The mechanism sipsorcery uses to initiate GV calls doesn't use the XMPP gateway so it won't be affected (at least in theory). The way sipsorcery works is to send an HTTP request to the GV home page and essentially emulates entering a phone number and clicking the call button.

armbel

Post by armbel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 am

Thanks Aaron

netghoster

Post by netghoster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Aaron wrote:The mechanism sipsorcery uses to initiate GV calls doesn't use the XMPP gateway so it won't be affected (at least in theory). The way sipsorcery works is to send an HTTP request to the GV home page and essentially emulates entering a phone number and clicking the call button.
Good to hear. Thank you for the clarification.

beaver

Post by beaver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Got relaxed after hearing from Aaron.

tyeske

Post by tyeske » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I currently use Sip Sorcery with my OBI202. I used to have sipgate, but obviously don't have sipgate anymore. I have a complex dialplan that allows me to receive calls through Google Voice that are routed from Google Voice to Sip Sorcery to my Obi202. I believe this will be fine once Google Voice changes in May. I have CNAM set up and working, so I know my calls are coming in through SIPSorcery.

I think my problem will be my outgoing calls as currently I have Google Voice set up under SP1 in "Configure Voice Service Providers (SP)" to make outgoing calls directly from my OBI202. I have SIPSorcery set up under SP2, but it is only registered, not connected as the Google Voice Account is.

Do I remove the Google Voice Account on the OBI and set up SIPSorcery as my account under "Configure Voice Service Providers"?

TIA

Troy

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 am

tyeske wrote:Do I remove the Google Voice Account on the OBI and set up SIPSorcery as my account under "Configure Voice Service Providers"?
I haven't used an Obi device but I don't think that you need to change the way you already have sipsorcery set up on yours. If you are already registering with your Obi device with sipsorcery it means you should be able to place outgoing calls on your sipsorcery line. There must be some mechanism on the Obi that lets you choose which account/line to use for outgoing calls.

Once you've figured that out the next step is to set up a Google Voice provider in your sipsorcery account. The guide to doing that can be found here http://www.sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/GoogleVoice.

tyeske

Post by tyeske » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

I never had GV set up as a provider before, but did recently go in and set it up in Sipsorcery. I have been using the complex dial plan with my Google credentials in it. My GV login info is in the dial plan. I think that is why I never needed it set up before.

When I have some time over the holidays, I intend to change the settings in my OBI to see if I can route the calls through Sipsorcery back to GV. To be honest, I'm not that technical, but I think currently my outgoing calls go directly from the OBI to Google Voice. I suppose I could open Sipsorcery and watch for the call as I make it.

I don't want to change my outgoing caller ID again. Currently my GV number is what people are used to seeing.

Thanks

rswenton

Post by rswenton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Aaron, thanks! I am breathing easy now. We all really appreciate your efforts to keep Sipsorcery going and adapting to the changes! -Rick

mx2jjx

Post by mx2jjx » Tue May 13, 2014 1:51 am

I could not figure this out in the past few days.

Current setup: completely reset Obi100 so that I can use 2 SIP providers.
SIP1: sipsorcery/ipkall
SIP2: sip for international call only…

Not problem with registering both SIP1 and SIP2. SIP2 works perfectly fine.

SIP1: incoming calls, no issue at all. Outgoing: always get error 480 after number is dialed. No problem with google voice callback initiated from computer (receiving at SIP1).

I was wondering if I set Ruby dialplan wrong, or I have system configuration wrong in Obi100 (which has too many parameters to be set.