Which PBX do you recommend: MSS, 3CX, Axon, PiaF, Elastix

Discussions about using SIP Sorcery on your own computer/server
zaheer002
Location: Gaza concentration camp, Illegally Occupied Palestine

Which PBX do you recommend: MSS, 3CX, Axon, PiaF, Elastix

Post by zaheer002 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of running a PBX on a spare (old P2/350/320/15GB or P3/700Celeron/320/15GB) PC for the hell of it and becuase MSS instability recently. Considering the following PBX server software:-

MSS local version
3CX
Axon

or linux based software:-

PBX in a Flash
Elastix

What I am looking for is an easy to set up PBX solution which will do low cost routing like MSS. I share SIP accounts with a friend so I would also require an external person to be able to register their ATA with my PBX so their calls would be LCR'ed in the same way as mine.
Additionally I would like this PC to also act as a media server for my XBOX and as a NAS so I only have to leave one PC on.

I'm thinking the 3 windows PBX's (3CX, Axon, MSS local version) maybe the best to use as I am familiar with Windows. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the 3 windows based PBX (3Cx, Axon, MSS) or the 2 linux based ones (PiaF, Elastix) and would they provide me with the functionality I am looking for namely LCR SIP calls, handle external friend to use my PBX, and possibly media and NAS server with ease of set up.

Any views?

zaheer002

Post by zaheer002 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Investigated Axon. Waste of time, does not automatically route calls based on prefix. Routing has to be done manually which is too much hassle!

zaheer002

Post by zaheer002 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 pm

Came across another windows pbx called MSS yes miniSipServer. Seems to do the above and runs under windows. maybe I have found what I'm looking for. will check out 3cx tomorrow.

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:47 am

If you want, keep us/me informed about your findings with MiniSipServer,
discovered this one too recently, the version for about 90 dollar seems fine for me, but question is, will it have a reasonable dialplan to work with, skipping, or adding numbers to dialout call.....
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

zaheer002

Post by zaheer002 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:44 pm

TheFug wrote:If you want, keep us/me informed about your findings with MiniSipServer,
discovered this one too recently, the version for about 90 dollar seems fine for me, but question is, will it have a reasonable dialplan to work with, skipping, or adding numbers to dialout call.....
Happy to report back.

It is a very low footprint program, it's running fine on the P2 with 128MB RAM and an old 4GB Fujitsu HDD!
It can do speed dials, and LCR provider routing based on the number dialled. It can add, replace, and delete numbers from the dialled number. One thing which I wanted it to do, but it does not do is add a prefix based on the length of number dialled. I've posted about this in the minisipserver forum so maybe they'll add this feature. Also has a STUN server built in as well!

Tried 3cx - but it doesn't like my P2 :cry: needs .net 2.0, they recommend a P4 on their website with 512-1Gig ram which is my main machine! May try on a P3 with 512MB ram if I get some time. But right now miniSipServer has almost all I need. I'll continue with MSS here until the next time it goes down and then my server will spring into action.

So i'm getting there. I have minisipserver running, I can run torrents, use it as a NAS, media server and no more Betamax FUP. But .....

I need help with something though, so maybe you or someone here can answer a few questions I have.

If I have this running on my PC at home on my home network, how can I register my brothers ATA device with it who is not on my home network (lives 10 miles away). It would be great if we only had to leave one PC on and we could share dial plans and VoIP providers. I guess I would need to open port forwarding and then somehow map it to my minisipservers IP address but I do not know how to go about this at all. If anyone can provide some step by step details, I would appreciate it.

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Don't know how far this minisipserver allows you to do that, but my guess is,
that's a question of making accounts, and a good house keeping of both routers, and forwarding the correct ports ? (jvwelzen is more into that sort of things)
Yes, NAS functions and mediastreaming functions are also of my interests,
Have some WiFi radio's here too....
and am downloading my favourite tv shows regulary.... Sept. it startsagain ! :)

Btw. a DMZ seems tempting to do, but i understand it's not a common thing to do, never heard good reports about that.
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

zaheer002

Post by zaheer002 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Managed to get both routers registered to the sip server. One on home network, the other from another IP. Fantastic!

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 pm

The second IP address needs to be an external address, you pay for ?
Thanks, The Fug.

zaheer002

Post by zaheer002 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Yes, my brother has another IP and is going to use the sip server also, so he can share my Betamax free days :D

djon

Post by djon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 am

You seem to have found your solution but here's an interesting project, installing Asterisk on a US$40 router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r228128 ... 0GU-router