First glace at v1.2

Discussions about using SIP Sorcery on your own computer/server
mgbfan78

First glace at v1.2

Post by mgbfan78 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:18 am

Aaron,

So far, so good. I downloaded and unzipped the package the other night. Since I am still a total NOOB with this stuff, I thought I would share my experiences so far.

After unzipping the package, I took a look at the docs to see what needed to be done to get setup and running. The instructions were clear and easy to follow.

-- Aaron, a suggestion -- save your instructions in .doc format. Some of us still run xp with office 2003.

I edited the sipdomains.xml file.

A note here --- don't run SS on a workstation that is using a dynamic IP address. It will be a real pain having to reconfigure your softphones/ATAs everytime the workstation address changes.

Anyway, after editing the file, I opened a DOS box and started the program.

I opened up Firefox and entered in the URL to connect to the SS GUI. Here is where I hit my first bump in the road. I have not taken the time to research it yet, but Firefox and Silverlight are not playing nice together. It opened up a blank tab, said it was downloading and then finished with a blank screen. Rather than stress about it, I justed started up IE and immediately got the familar SipSorcery login screen.

Aaron, it might be nice to include in the docs what the default username/password are just for reference. For those that are interested, the username is username and the password is password :D

I selected to create a new account. Everything was going great until the program said it needed to email me to complete the process.

Aaron, I am not knowingly running a mail transfer agent so at this point the account creation process stops as no email is sent anywhere that I am aware of. At this point, I edited the customers.xml file and flipped the flag to true to enable my new account.

Another note/question here - the contact field defaults to username@sipsorcery.com when defining a new provider. Should 'sipsorcery.com' be changed to my local IP address?

I added in my providers and then grabbed copies of my IN and OUT dial plans from SipSorcery.com and added them to my local server.

I opened up Zoiper and configured it to point to my local SS server and it connected.

I made a couple of test SIP calls and things worked just as expected.

Next, I opened up ports 5060 and 5061 on my firewall. I logged into IPKall and reset one of my numbers to point to my dyndns alias rather than SipSorcery.com. Then, I made a GV call from SipSorcery.com to my test IPKall number. Everything was going well until the call hit my incoming dial plan. At this point, it crashed and burned. But thanks to the amount of logging information that Aaron is displaying from his program was an easy fix.

Remember how I said I copied my plans from SS. What is wrong with this line:

if sys.IsAvailable("#{req.URI.User}","sipsorcery.com")

You guessed it !!! Needed to change 'sipsorcery.com' to the ip address of my local server. That fixed the problem.

I ran out of testing time tonite but later this week, I hope to test out receiving SIP calls and making GoogleVoice calls thru this new local setup.

Aaron, one final thought/request - is there a simple diagram showing how all of the modules inter-relate? Sometimes a simple Visio diagram clears up and drives home some of the points you are making in the verbage.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to test out and provide feedback on this project.

Pat

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 am

Hi Pat,

I'm acutally suprised your experience with the local install was that smooth. I'm sure if jvwezeln or some of the other local sipsorcery early adopters read your post they will grimace given the problems they went through.

I'll incorporate your points into the quick start guide and put a pdf version into the source tree as well.

You do need to change registration contacts to use your own IP address or hostname instead of sipsorcery.com.

There are actually some design diagrams available at http://sipsorcery.codeplex.com/wikipage ... y%20Design and you may be particularly interested in the deployment one http://sipsorcery.codeplex.com/wikipage ... y%20Design. The diagrams haven't been updated for about 6 months and there have been some changes in that time but they still should provide a reasonable idea of what's going on if you can decipher them.

Regards,

Aaron

mgbfan78

Post by mgbfan78 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 am

Aaron,

thanks for links to the diagrams - it helps to understand the data flows.

I hope the other early testers did not grimace too much :wink: as I checked to see if they were posting horror stories before I decided to give 1.2 a go.

After lurking on the forums, I have learned there are some really talented individuals giving freely of their time and knowledge to make SS a very useful tool and it is much appreciated. jvwezeln, mike tellis, thefug, gbonnet and others seem to always be coming up with new and innovative ways to use this application. Every time I drop by these forums, I either pick up a new tip or technique.

I have not attempted to build the app from the sources yet. I'm saving that for a future date. That is where I ran into trouble trying ver 1.1.

Pat