Flash Drive

Discussions about using SIP Sorcery on your own computer/server
deskbound

Flash Drive

Post by deskbound » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I got the idea (a scary event that happens every few years) of trying to set up a local version. I just purchased a new router, Asus WL-520gu, put Teddy_Bear 1.27 Tomato on it and got the flash drive to work on the USB router port without a hitch to my shock. My call quality has gone up substantially from my Linksys wrt54gs router. Will SS run on the router flash drive so that I don't need to run a computer? How much memory would be required to load all the programs that would be needed? Has anybody done this or could direct me to some step by step instructions for idiots as I'd have no foggy clue what I would be doing as I needed extensive help to get up and running on Aaron's server? I did read the instructions posted as the first post and have no clue what that is all about but it seems like it may require a number of programs, if not an operating system beyond the SS program download.

Thanks Michael

zaheer002
Location: Gaza concentration camp, Illegally Occupied Palestine

Re: Flash Drive

Post by zaheer002 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am

No SS will not run on your flash drive plugged into your Asus router. SS runs on a PC. If you want to run an SS type application on your Asus, have a look at DDWRT with Asterisk or OpenWRT. DAFS on google and it should come up with instructions. i've had a go and gave up with my Fonera router for the time being, hope you have more luck.

deskbound

Post by deskbound » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Specifically why won't it run. Granted folks are running Asterisk on Tomato on the USB port of my Asus wl-520gu router. Look at Mango's setup. I don't know if we are allowed to post web links, so this should Google a first listing: mango asus january 19, 2010

I'm assuming I can plug in a big enough flash drive (portable HD if necessary) to load my entire PC on the router USB port, so I was wondering what programs I needed to load. XP, Silverlight, Java, xxx, .... on the flash drive to get SS to work? I figure Asterisk works on it why not SS.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:23 pm

The sipsorcery software is written for .Net and will only run properly under Windows. As far as I know there are no routers out there using Windows as their base operating system so that will prevent you from running sipsorcery on your router.

There is a Linux port of .Net called Mono and at one stage sipsorcery was able to run on Linux using it but since then some more advanced .Net features were used to make my life easier and I don't think it will run under Mono anymore.

Regards,
Aaron

deskbound

Post by deskbound » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Aaron,

Thanks,

Michael