System Requirements for SS Local

Discussions about using SIP Sorcery on your own computer/server
medfordite

System Requirements for SS Local

Post by medfordite » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:16 pm

In light of your recent wordpress post, I wanted to find out if I could run this on my local PC to help cut down on the amount of resources being consumed.

What are the system requirements for running this on a local system in terms of CPU, Memory and/or Server type?
-=-Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!-=-

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: System Requirements for SS Local

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Resource requirements are negligible for a small sipsorcery install. WIth only one or a few users you won't even notice it's running. That's based on hardware that's less than 3 to 5 years old. If you try running it on a P2 with 256MB of RAM it will probably be a different story.

However before you go down the path of installing a local instance be aware that it's not a particularly user friendly piece of software. Others that have tried the same thing before you have invested a lot of effort to get up and running not to mention frustration. Part of the reason for that is that my main focus is on the sipsorcery.com service and packaging up the software for local installs is a secondary effort.

medfordite

Post by medfordite » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 am

So would a Simple AMD 1.5ghz with 512mb of Ram suffice running Windows XP Pro suffice?

For what it is worth, I did test this in a Virtualbox session with 1024mb of Ram and 1 processor and it worked fine in terms of running, except I didn't know what the user password was for the admin to get things setup so I just left it there for now. ;)

I did look at the basic readme and it was helpful to get me that far so I am trusting it wouldn't be too hard to do.
-=-Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!-=-

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:24 am

That hardware should be ok although I suspect you'll get a noticeable CPU spike when a call comes in, the IronRuby engine gives the CPU a bit of a kick when it loads.