mysipswitch for home use

Discussions about using SIP Sorcery on your own computer/server
jimmy

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:45 am

Have you ever considered creating (or helping to create) a simplified version of mysipswitch for linux based router firmware (like linksys wrt54 or asus wl-500 - OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Tomato)? Just simple functionality - like switching providers based on dialplan for outgoing calls and forwarding incoming calls to ATA (behind the router). It would have some advantages:
- router have public IP so no port forwarding or proxy setup would be required and is always turned on
- no problem with FUP for betamaxes - the same IP for ATA and sipswitch
- user comfort - end user checks his own router if sipswitch not working
- no need to have computer in LAN (with local sipswitch) always turned on
I am aware that creation and continuing support for two sipswitch versions is impossible but maybe adapting current version for creation first, stable linux solution with no future support would be an option? As it would be GPL code - maybe other developers (i.e. from OpenWRT project) could continue to develop such program.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 am

Hi jimmy,

There is only one code base for the sipswitch. The version for Linux is identical to the Windows version with only a few lines commented out, those lnes deal with providing the web service API.

It's quite feasible that the sipswitch could run on one of the WRT firmwares. In theory it can run where ever mono (www.go-mono.com) can be installed. It's an interesting idea but I suspect it will be a while before I find the time to test it out.

If you wanted to have a crack the last release of the sipswitch software was Linux compatible http://www.codeplex.com/mysipswitch so if you found a way to get mono installed on a WRT it should have no problems running.

Regards,

Aaron

jimmy

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Thank you Aaron for quick explanation. AFAIK there is some kind of implementation of SIPProxy for routers but it handles all trafic (not only SIP signaling) so its hardware requirements are higher.
Unfortunatelly my linux programming knowlege is very basic so I have learn more about SIP switching functionality based on your Windows implementation before I try something with linux.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Hi jimmy,

I suspect someone would have got OpenSER running on a WRT. It's the most popular open source SIP Proxy and is designed for Linux. While a lot of the functionality is similar to the sipswitch it doesn't have the bits like the registration agent or dial plans which are what most people like.

Asterisk apparently also runs on the WRT and it could do pretty much everything the sipswitch could do and more. However it's learning curve is a bit steeper and it deals with media as well as SIP.

Regards,

Aaron