very disapointed, sipsorcery is not free anymore

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
CraigTPE

Re: very disapointed, sipsorcery is not free anymore

Post by CraigTPE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 pm

thefug2 wrote:guys! these are old posts you reply to.......

and btw.... Asterisk is for free !
Just because it ain't breaking news, doesn't make the point less valid.

Thanks for the info on Asterisk, but I use the SipSorcery solution for my mobile phone. I will probably stick with MagicJack for my home phone for now. Asterisk looks like a bit more than I need.

CraigTPE

Post by CraigTPE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:03 pm

miksipswitch wrote:I lost my stanaphone account because they said "from now on you have to buy cre4dit to keep it"
but here we have been talking about migration, nothing was said about something to pay from someone who was already in therefore it has been unclear
What would you do if you were in his shoes? Do you have a few thousand dollars to plunk down so that random people you don't even know can benefit from your hobby?

This is not a business or a public service, but some guy who is really good with computers trying something new. It was free for as along as it was possible. It looks like it's not possible anymore. I think they have really gone above and beyond anything I could hope for.
Last edited by CraigTPE on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miksipswitch

Post by miksipswitch » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 pm

i agree, only the notice wasnt given with the right terms
did the guys tat had the automatic migration have to pay or had it for free?

CraigTPE

Post by CraigTPE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 pm

miksipswitch wrote:i agree, only the notice wasnt given with the right terms
did the guys tat had the automatic migration have to pay or had it for free?
You still don't get it. it doesn't matter. We are owed nothing. We are guests at a party and when the money runs out, the party is over. It would be more helpful and productive if you could offer some ideas how the site owner could come up with the resources to keep it going.

rod178

Post by rod178 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:29 am

Aaron

Whatever happens in the future, thanks for all your (free) time and effort. I've been using SS from its beginning and sometime before that I was on MSS. It will be disappointing if SS dies a slow death.

My main use is to register a few DIDs in the US, which I can then time filter using SS. Additionally I have a couple of local backup voip accounts (via SS failover) that require registration to facilitate outgoing calls. Restriction to one sip registration would certainly make SS almost unuseable for myself, although workarounds (eg still in box C470ip) are possible. Currently SS provides all the functionality that I require.

If you're to introduce a charge for 'premium' functionality I'd like to suggest a multi tier approach, based upon the functionality's potential server load, with one-off charging, or perhaps a charge for a five year period. I'd support a one off fee of $35 if need be, although I would find it hard to justify on an annual basis.

A major issue seems to be server load, hence possibily implement a (post) charge (or even cut off) each time an account goes over a predetermined mips per month. This would also limit abuse and could be waived for certain individuals whom contribute to dial plan development.

The potential for abuse is significant and needs to be eliminated. Recently Pennytel temporarily blocked Voxalot registrations due to abuse with calling cards. A 'free for all' with SS could possibly result in future blocking of SS.

I'd like the free account to be only limited to six sip registrations, not one. Reasons stated previously. That, in addition to dial plans, is the major benefit of SS. One dialling instance is fine for my use pattern, unless I wanted to set up a calling card business :evil: :twisted:

ais11

Post by ais11 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:03 am

Free accounts with more than one registrant is very much desired. In addition, another package to have something less than unlimited (like 10 or 20 registrants) costing like $10 or so, can help some other users who may not wish to go for unlimited.

krolaw

Post by krolaw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 am

As a free user, I'd be very happy with $5/yr. Full root VPSes are available for $35/yr, so the current pricing seems high. It also seems unjust that the early adopters get a free ride. If all users paid $5/yr, would it cover costs with a bit of profit for the great service provided? With such a low fee, I couldn't expect any guarantee of service.

Cheers.

degarb

Post by degarb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 pm

LHM wrote:This should work.

All accounts established prior to July 25, 2010 will expire in 30 days.
To maintain your existing a account a one time membership fee of $35.00 is required prior to the expiration date.
Those who made donations prior to 25 July 2010 will be credited the appropriate amount towards their membership fee.

Problem solved. :mrgreen:

I consider a one time fee of $35 fair (as opposed to annual). Where do I pay for this?

CraigTPE

Post by CraigTPE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 pm

degarb wrote:I consider a one time fee of $35 fair (as opposed to annual). Where do I pay for this?
How is a one time fee fair when operation costs are ongoing?

The solution they have settled on, with various programs ranging from free to a few bucks, reflects the market.