Google Voice merges with Hangout?

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
netghoster

Google Voice merges with Hangout?

Post by netghoster » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Aaron,

It seems that Google will ditch Google Voice pretty soon and the service will be integrated into Google Handgout. Any foreseeable impact on the SIPSORCERY? Any advice for the Sipsorcery users who use Google Voice as their domestic service provider?

Thank you,

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Google Voice merges with Hangout?

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am

I did see a rumour about that but it's hard to give any advice because there are no details. It's not so much merging with hangouts that will impact GV users as I expect they'll continue with their current features and implementation. The question is whether they will open up GV/Hangouts to any open standards such as SIP, XMPP or WebRTC. The rumour is that they are phasing out XMPP support so I guess it's unlikely that would be something that would be provided with Hangouts. Personally I also doubt they will add SIP support as they have not shown any interest in that respect and turned off SIP support when GrandCentral became GV. So that leaves WebRTC. If they were to provide an open WebRTC network then services like sipsorcery could integrate with it. But as to whether they will open their network who knows???

netghoster

Post by netghoster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Aaron wrote:I did see a rumour about that but it's hard to give any advice because there are no details. It's not so much merging with hangouts that will impact GV users as I expect they'll continue with their current features and implementation. The question is whether they will open up GV/Hangouts to any open standards such as SIP, XMPP or WebRTC. The rumour is that they are phasing out XMPP support so I guess it's unlikely that would be something that would be provided with Hangouts. Personally I also doubt they will add SIP support as they have not shown any interest in that respect and turned off SIP support when GrandCentral became GV. So that leaves WebRTC. If they were to provide an open WebRTC network then services like sipsorcery could integrate with it. But as to whether they will open their network who knows???
Thank you Arron for the clarification. I am thinking to add my parents and sister to my account and would like to be certain that the service will sustain for a while before I make the investment.

BTW, I am currently using the free account. Do I need to switch to paid account if I want to add two subaccounts to allow my parents and sister use their Google Voice numbers? Thank you.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 am

netghoster wrote:BTW, I am currently using the free account. Do I need to switch to paid account if I want to add two subaccounts to allow my parents and sister use their Google Voice numbers? Thank you.
SIP sub-accounts can be added to a Free account, however if you are going to need to use additional SIP Providers for the additional Google Voice accounts then you will need to switch to a Premium service level.