New GTalk Dial Plan Method

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
elwebmaster

Post by elwebmaster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Be very careful when implementing the e-mail function since it can potentially be abused for SPAM. A Ruby script supporting direct sending of E-mail would make a spammer jump in joy.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Thats correct and exactly why there is no email function.

From a programming point of view it's trivial to add a method to allow emails to be sent from a dial plan and essentially that's exactly what happens with the emailed call traces. The difficult part is being able to avoid abuse.

One way I did think about would be to require an SMTP server, username and password so that the email would not be sent from the mysipswitch mail server but from the dialplan owner's.

Regards,

Aaron

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:02 am

Could the Sys.Gtalk command send a message to the IM part of my GXP2000 Grandstream IP phone ?

I once received a IM message on my Grandstream IP phone, about a network failure (jabber), although i only have sip accounts set so i guess Gtalk is fully SIP compliant ?
I guess you could send VCARD's this way... my DECT 301d uses this for storing phone numbers....
How many characters per message ?

btw: i guess only sending for the moment ?
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:19 am

One way I did think about would be to require an SMTP server, username and password so that the email would not be sent from the mysipswitch mail server but from the dialplan owner's.
Some ISPs do not allow sending e-mails from "external" IP. That is, only those connected to the ISP's network can use their SMTP server.

How about this: you allow up to three "e-mail address" entries in the dialplan configuration and prohibit changing these entries more often than, say, once a day?

These limitations shouldn't affect honest customers.

Each e-mail entry is in fact an alias for e-mail address. For example:

missedcall => user@gmail.com

Code: Select all

if sys.IsAvailable()                                # If my ATA is registered  
    sys.Dial("#{sys.Username}@local") 
  else
    sys.Mail("missedcall","You've missed incoming call from #{req.Header.From.FromName}")
    sys.Respond(480, "#{sys.Username} Not online")
  end

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:31 am

Hi Mike,

Fair point about the external IP's that would make things difficult.

An alternative to your idea would be for us to only allow pre-authorised users to use the email application in a dial plan. We could add a mechanism into the dialplan processing that inidcated whether a user had been authorised or not. Initially we'd authorise users on request and maybe down the track relax it a bit if there were no issues.

Regards,

Aaron

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:56 am

Fair point about the external IP's that would make things difficult.
Moreover, you'd have to worry about SSL, SMTP port ... a lot of settings, a lot of work!
An alternative to your idea would be for us to only allow pre-authorised users to use the email application in a dial plan. We could add a mechanism into the dialplan processing that inidcated whether a user had been authorised or not. Initially we'd authorise users on request and maybe down the track relax it a bit if there were no issues.
You could as well combined both ideas together! :) Having an alias for e-mail name is a good thing, especially when you need to publish your dialplan or need to change e-mail address quickly. And yet, even if someone stolen valid customer's password they couldn't spam around because you wouldn't allow to change destination e-mail addresses more often than once a day. (Well, I'd rather make it 3 times a days if you allow 3 e-mail addresses to be used).

And yet, you could allow some extra settings for "e-mail alias" entry, like "From:" or "Subj:".

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:15 pm

Could the Sys.Gtalk command send a message to the IM part of my GXP2000 Grandstream IP phone ?

I once received a IM message on my Grandstream IP phone, about a network failure (jabber), although i only have sip accounts set so i guess Gtalk is fully SIP compliant ?
I guess you could send VCARD's this way... my DECT 301d uses this for storing phone numbers....
How many characters per message ?

btw: i guess only sending for the moment ?
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D

rmclaren

Post by rmclaren » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm also interested in the use of the GXP2000 messaging. I recently searched for applications that used this feature, but found nothing. Has anyone got this to work?

emoci

Post by emoci » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:49 am

This maybe a bit off topic, but every GTalk, MSN, or Yahoo user is reachable via a SIP URI.

Code: Select all

Eg. name@gmail.com
Call name_at_gmail.com@gtalk.gtalk2voip.com

(This will also work with a Google Apps domain if set up properly see http://www.gtalk2voip.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=41 )

Eg. name@hotmail.com
Call name_at_hotmail.com@msn.gtalk2voip.com

Eg.name@yahoo.com
Call name_at_yahoo.com@yahoo.gtalk2voip.com

*I can't get it to show up properly, but the spaces around at are underscores ( _at_)

This means that you can actually have any DID pointed to your IM client as well.

There is one catch, the first call that comes in this way will trigger a request to add a new friend, service@gtalk2voip.com ... Only once that request has been accepted will calls go through from that point on

There is more stuff at GTalk2Voip.com, I just wish they'd organize the info better

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Did anybody got the Sys.Gtalk command to work ?
Thanks, The Fug.