SIPSwitch Upgrade - 6 Sep 2008

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
Aaron
Site Admin

SIPSwitch Upgrade - 6 Sep 2008

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi All,

An upgrade to the sipswitch has been made to add the final agent needed for the full separation as described here http://www.mysipswitch.com/wordpress/in ... -skidding/.

The final agent was the Stateless SIP Proxy that sits in front of all the other agents. Previously this function was performed by the SIP Application Server (this is the one that does all the dial plan processing).

The upgrade has been tested and looks to be working correctly. There were some brief periods during the upgrade when calls would not have been able to get through and when the 3rd part registrations would have expired.

Hopefully this now puts an end to the majority of the work that has been ongoing since stability problems arose in June caused by a memory leak in the IronRuby assembly used for dial plan processing. While the memory leak still exists it has now been confined to a single agent, the SIP Application Server, and by restarting that agent once every week or so the problem is mitigated. Restarting the Application Server agent no longer has any affect on 3rd party or user registrations which is the other big advantage of the agent separation.

Regards,

Aaron

teddy_b

Post by teddy_b » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Aaron,

It's great to hear that you care about MSS project so much, and keep improving it and making it more stable!

Unfortunately as of today - I suppose as a side-effect of this change - I cannot make outgoing calls via my primary SIP provider anymore.

The problem, I believe, is in the fact that REGISTER requests are sent from IP 213.200.94.182, while INVITEs are from IP 77.67.57.195. My provider only allows outgoing calls to be made from the registered client, so I'm getting "400 Bad Request" responses for INVITES made from different IP address.

Everything worked perfect just last night - when the IP addresses matched, and incoming calls still work as before.

Is there anything I can change in my configuration to get all REGISTER and INVITE requests to come from the same IP address?

If not - is there a chance that you will make changes in MSS anytime soon to resolve this? Is it crucial for new separated servers to have different external IP addresses?

Thank you!

renoir

Post by renoir » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Aaron,

I experience problems as well since today's upgrade. Incoming calls on MSS are no longer handed over to my SPA941. I double-checked my config; nothing seems to be wrong. Furthermore, I made no modification. I am observing the problem for several hours now. What I've seen so far was that in "Monitoring" during the afternoon, a regular message like "Switching sip:bla@mysipswitch.com:5060 -> sip:bla@bla:10006 via bla@bla:10006" showed up, but was not followed by any error message. It was only during the evening that a "Response 404" showed up shortly after "switching". MWI's don't work either.

Direct Regs (without MSS) show no problem.

I'll run a telnet tomorrow, if needed.

Thank you,
renoir.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi teddy_b,

Ok I understand the issue in your case and you are bound not to be the only one affected by that. We can change the way things operate so that all call from the App Server go out through the Proxy in the same way the registration traffic does. This will result in the same address for calls and registrations. I will get working on this in a few hours and it shouldn't take too long ot knock over.

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi renoir,

Unlike the issue teddy_b has highlighted incoming calls should still work properly as they will already be sent back through the Proxy and not directly from the App server.

Could you fire up the telnet monitor and see if the registration requests from your SPA are getting through to the sipswitch?

Regards,

Aaron

emoci

Post by emoci » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:52 am

teddy_b wrote:Aaron,

It's great to hear that you care about MSS project so much, and keep improving it and making it more stable!

Unfortunately as of today - I suppose as a side-effect of this change - I cannot make outgoing calls via my primary SIP provider anymore.

The problem, I believe, is in the fact that REGISTER requests are sent from IP 213.200.94.182, while INVITEs are from IP 77.67.57.195. My provider only allows outgoing calls to be made from the registered client, so I'm getting "400 Bad Request" responses for INVITES made from different IP address.

Everything worked perfect just last night - when the IP addresses matched, and incoming calls still work as before.

Is there anything I can change in my configuration to get all REGISTER and INVITE requests to come from the same IP address?

If not - is there a chance that you will make changes in MSS anytime soon to resolve this? Is it crucial for new separated servers to have different external IP addresses?

Thank you!
Ok,

I had the same problem (in fact would not have realized this was the issue, if I hadn't read this)...

I forced the provider to register to sip:emoci@77.67.57.195

Surely enough, outgoing calls are now back up and working....but bear two things in mind:

1. The monitoring page still shows it as registered to emoci@213.200.94.182 despite the above change (but the change allows it to work)

2. I haven't tested incoming calls yet (they are not that important to me in this case... but I'll test when I have a chance)

BTW, Aaron.... I'm probably a bit out of the loop, what is 77.67.57.195 in the overall picture

I saw references to ports 5060, 8891, 2060 being open and a socket 77.67.57.195:80 being available...

If incoming calls work with the above mod, maybe you don't have to rush as much to fix this...

One more thing as a sidenote, when you finally manage to get a rest from putting out fires :D and dealing with the leak, any chance you can port some of the latest stuff over to the Local Version, that and a GUI, could do wonders for the Local SipSwitch ...

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:32 am

Hi emoci,

The idea with the the mysipswitch deployment is to use the Proxy agent as the public interface for all SIP traffic. The exception at the moment is for outgoing calls where it seemed more efficient to have those calls go direct rather than through teh Proxy. However it's a minor efficiency and the issue that teddy_b has raised means it's one not worth keeping.

As far as the IP addresses go the 77.67.57.195 is the address currently assigned to the SIP Application server agent. The Proxy is listening on all the other sockets including 213.200.94.182:5060 and will forward the traffic to the appropriate agent.

In regards to the local version I agree and would love to get a new release out that can be used without a database install. I test with a local version of mysipswitch but cheat by using a Postgresql database. Once the new deployment is finally bedded down then a new release of the local version will be up the top of the list. The GUI is another thing though...

Regards,

Aaron

renoir

Post by renoir » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Aaron,

[previous message removed; issue seems to be resolved]

Sorry for having bothered you, the problem just disappeared miraculously. Maybe my ISP was messing up with my line, who knows.

Thanks,
renoir.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:44 am

Hi teddy_b,

The issue you had should be resolved now. All calls from the App Server are going through the Proxy as are all the 3rd party registrations so your provider will be getting everything from the same IP address. If you still encounter a problem please let me know.

There is a little bit more work to do on in-dialogue requests and NOTIFY requests and we'll get aorund to that shortly. In the meantime all call and registration traffic should be working correctly.

Regards,

Aaron

nd_electro

No incoming nor outgoing call since update

Post by nd_electro » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Hello Aaron,

I experience problems to use mysipswitch since a few hours. No incoming call works. When I try an outgoing call, in the monitor page appears the following log.

15:20:31:157: Outgoing call to sip:004917954xxxxx@sip.mysipswitch.com for ndodel@sip.mysipswitch.com.
15:20:31:167: New SwitchCall starting for sip:004917954xxxxx@sip.mysipswitch.com, attempting to resolve eu.voxalot.com.
15:20:31:169: Switching sip:004917954xxxxx@sip.mysipswitch.com:5060->sip:004917954xxxxx@eu.voxalot.com:5060 via 213.200.94.182:5060.
15:20:58:574: Cancelling call for sip:004917954xxxxx@sip.mysipswitch.com.
15:21:00:157: No transaction matched for ACK for sip:004917954xxxxx@sip.mysipswitch.com.
15:21:03:186: Cancelling forwarded call leg sip:004917954xxxxx@eu.voxalot.com, no repsonse from server has been received so no CANCEL request required.

Thanks for any hints.

Best regards

Norman