Upgrade Complete; Dev Work to Slow

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
Aaron
Site Admin

Upgrade Complete; Dev Work to Slow

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi All,

For those that have been following the saga with the sipswitch software since some stability issues first cropped up in June followed by some intensive profiling and memory leak hunting and finally by a series of upgrades and major changes to the deployment model I am happy to say that the work is now complete.

Relative to the changes that were made the disruptions were minimal. That's not to say there weren't problems, there were as evidenced by the length of the previous thread on this forum, but as far as the software goes the upgrade was like turning a Mini into a Double Decker Bus and having to keep it hurtling down the highway at the same time!

Despite all the work the memory leak is unfortunately still present in the IronRuby engine used to process dial plans but on the good side the single server agent that has the memory leak can now be restarted at scheduled intervals with next to no impact on the running service.

Unfortunately while the frantic work was going on with regards the above work on new features essentially halted and the bad news is that I will be unable to spend any significant time working on any new features in the coming months due to some work (second job) projects that are going to command my full attention.

What I have done in case there is anybody out there who is keen to make the jump from Ruby to C# (not that big a leap) or who is already a C# programmer is to split out the main class file used for the Ruby dial plan custom methods (the sys. calls). To add a new feature to the dial plan is as straight forward as adding a new public method to that class. There is no need to have to understand the intricacies of the full SIP stack or the deployment model to write a new application. The specific class can be browsed at:

http://www.codeplex.com/mysipswitch/Sou ... etId=24409

If anyone out there does want to try it out I'd recommend downloading the latest local version of the sipswitch source (http://www.codeplex.com/mysipswitch/Sou ... mmits.aspx) and seeing how you go with a build. Both the Microsoft trial version of Visual Studio .Net 2008 C# Edition or SharpDevelop are freely available for that task.

From there it's a matter of adding the public methods to DialPlanScriptHelper.cs in the BlueFace.SIP.ServerCores assembly and testing them in your local mysipswitch version. After that Guillaume or I would be happy to look over any new code and if all is well commit and deploy it. It's actually easier to program the methods in C# than it is in Ruby so if anyone is hanging out for a particular dial plan application and has been thinking about checking out the mysipswitch source it's a very good time :) .

Regards,

Aaron