Betamax FUP

Please post requests related to the sipsorcery library to the GitHub repo https://github.com/sipsorcery/sipsorcery/issues.
jvwelzen

Betamax FUP

Post by jvwelzen » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:28 pm

Dear Mysipswitch users/developers

I was wondering if it is possible to contact betamax to allow mysipswitch on there servers like voxalot so that we don't have any problems with the FUP anymore.

Why did voxalot get access to the betamax servers and why isn't is possible to allow mysipswitch also on there servers.

Maybe if you contact betamax and explain the service you are offering
Betamax will allow mysipswitch also on there servers.

I was thinking to contact betamax and to use the local version of mysipswitch to allow my clients to use the betamax network for outgoing connections and budgetphone (NL) for the incoming connections.

But we are still have the problem of the FUP at betamax so that we cannot offer the 300 min of free calling time on the betamax network.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:51 am

Hi jvwelzen,

It's all been tried with regard the Betamax FUP. I personally emailed and posted on the Betamax forums to no avail and a number of mss users have also contacted various Betamax services.

If you run a verion of mss locally then you won't have the same FUP problem as your IP address will not be seen as having lots of calls coming from it. If you intend on putting your customers calls through a local version you most likely will hit the same problem.

It's been discussed on this forum (and I'm sure lots of other forums) ad-nauseum that Betamax aren't providing the free calls as a right. They are more of a taster to encourage users to buy credit for other calls. If you're only interested in the free calls side of it then Betamax are likely to be very interested in enforcing the FUP on your account(s).

Regards,

Aaron

jvwelzen

Thanks for your answer

Post by jvwelzen » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks Aaron for your reply.

I still think that betamax would earn there money if they will let mysipswitch on there network as they provide much cheaper calls than the regular providers.

If I can put my customers on there network they will still earn there money because i want to give my customers 365 freedays a year so that is already 40 euros. If my customers call more destinations and call more than 40 euros they will earn more as af then my customers wil topup there accounts to keep calling the destinations they provide.

I think I am going to try to contact betamax to see how they think about the mysipswitch website and if the will allow betamax users to use the mysipswitch network as they don't provide regular phone nummers here in the netherlands.

I have to get my phone number here with budgetphone and want to combine the phone nummer and a betamax account together in one sip account because not every ata will allow more than 1 sip provider like the fritzbox I am currently using.

So I wil come back on that later......

Thanks

markandreson

Re: Betamax FUP

Post by markandreson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 am

Is anyone else getting Betamax FUP charges on calls through Voxalot? I seem to be getting them from time to time and I'm not sure why.
As they don't answer my emails I'm no nearer to finding out the reason. I thought the IP address problem had been solved, so I guess it can't be that.
mark
ccna

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:24 am

Somebody else may be able to provide a new trick or workaround but in general the trend I have noticed over the last couple of years is that most people have given up on the FUP battles with Betamax. Probably the only half decent way to do it is to have an ATA with two SIP lines and connect one of them directly to Betamax.

Regards,
Aaron

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 am

Aaron wrote:Probably the only half decent way to do it is to have an ATA with two SIP lines and connect one of them directly to Betamax.
Exactly, half decent! The problem is that betamax are summing up all calls made from particular IP address. Since most of us are on dynamic IP, you don't know whether your current IP address is over quota or not. That is, if betamax services are popular in your neighborhood chances are that free minutes have already been used up the guy next door who happen to get this IP address before it was assigned to you. In the other words, it's like Vegas, it's more like gambling! :-(

Non-existent customer support is a part of this game, too. That's why I prefer to keep out of betamax.

beaver

Post by beaver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:02 am

markandreson wrote:Is anyone else getting Betamax FUP charges on calls through Voxalot? I seem to be getting them from time to time and I'm not sure why.
As they don't answer my emails I'm no nearer to finding out the reason. I thought the IP address problem had been solved, so I guess it can't be that.
Get a spa1001, line1 runs voxalot or sipsorcery, or whatever your primary voip service, the line2 is with betamax. I am using this way. I have been with betamax 5~6 years. no support but so far so good. I have more than one betamax accounts since i keep its free call time. I think I should use out of the $$$ even no free call then close some of them.

showup

Post by showup » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Is it possible to count the number of minutes a out going call is and hence how many minutes of outgoing call through a particular betamax account? This may be possible if we store and retrieve the data (in a flat file or database) for each out going call. If we keep the out going minutes to <300 min there is a high chance in avoiding this problem.

beaver

Post by beaver » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Due to Betamax FUP, betamax is NOT a main topic in sipsorcery forum. Hence, even there are various dial plans, but few of them have discussed betamax.

You can login your betamax account and easily to see the minutes spent.

showup

Post by showup » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:41 am

beaver wrote:Due to Betamax FUP, betamax is NOT a main topic in sipsorcery forum. Hence, even there are various dial plans, but few of them have discussed betamax.

You can login your betamax account and easily to see the minutes spent.
I know what you mean; Someone who is good in Ruby will be able to pull out those numbers from betamax website and calculate the usage per week and route the calls accordingly. Such a script if optimized using more than one betamax account will probably save lots of FUP money and give plenty of minutes right?!!!!