Google Voice Call Arbitrary Provider for Callback

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
jackhappy

Post by jackhappy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks to the wonderful info here, I have the following setup working successfully:
My GV # + Sip Sorcery + My IPKall # + PAP2T ATA Line 1
Wife's GV # + Sip Sorcery + Wife's IPKall # + PAP2T ATA Line 1

I have our home phone plugged into the PAP2T Line 1 and it properly rings when either of our GV numbers are dialed.

Would it be possible to assign a different ringtone pattern to my incoming calls (only using the PAP2T Line 1)? For example, my wife's would ring like normal: Ring... Ring... Ring... But my number would ring like this: Ring-Ring... Ring-Ring... Ring-Ring...

I researched this for almost an hour and found that you can set up extensions in the PAP2T and possibly assign different ring patterns to each extension, but I couldn't find a guide to explain the step-by-step process of how to do this.

Even if I got the extensions thing set up, I'd still have to figure out how to write an SIP Sorcery incoming dialplan that would communicate the extension to the PAP2T so that it would be able to process it appropriately.

Thoughts?

huibw

Post by huibw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 pm

In the setup of your PAP2 you can specify the ring pattern to use. Go to the User 1 tab and near the bottom of the page you'll see a ring pattern field. Set one to "ring 1" and the other to "ring 2" (or any of the other 7 rings)

synchron

Post by synchron » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:27 pm

The other day I noticed that if there are 2 bindings to the same SS account, if one dials out to GV callback, the other will get a 480 Temporary Not Available error if done simultaneously. Now that new accounts are available again, if I make a 2nd SS account and bind each thing separate (say, an Ipod Touch and an ATA), would this fix the conflict if I use the same GV callback provider? Or is it best to use a different provider for each account?

Furthermore, if I set up something for my Ipod Touch/Ipico/ISip, is it better that I tie my GV Callbacks thru SS to a different GV account/number just to guarantee no conflicts or is this unnecessary?

TIA,

Synchron 8)

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 pm

synchron,

Aaron wrote in SS blog that accounts are limited, "one per person". Anyway, I don't see why would you need yet another Sipsorcery account? Sipsorcery allows many (more than one) SIP accounts for every SS account and that's exactly what you need :)

Say, you have SS account named "synchron". On that account, you define two SIP accounts named "synchron1" and "synchron2" (btw, you can have different passwords for each SIP account). Say, you register your ATA to synchron1 and your softphone to synchron2 and it's the same as if you had two different SS accounts and one SIP accounts in each SS acnt. Good enough, huh? :) Moreover, you won't have to define your SIP providers in two different SS accounts and yet, you won't violate Aaron's policy.

What about incoming calls? You receive them either because you checked "Register" checkbox in a SIP provider settings or because your SIP provider (like IPKall or Gizmo5) forwarded a call to one of your accounts (say, synchron1@sipsorcery.com). Latter case is simple, you just need to specify SIP URI in your IPKall or Gizmo5 settings. First is more tricky, you need to specify correct address in "Register contact" field in SIP account settings.

Okay, let's get back to your original question. I think that you should at least have two different callback numbers. You might expect that GV wouldn't allow more than one call in progress on the same GV account. In this case, you'll need two different GV accounts, too.

jackhappy

Post by jackhappy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:11 pm

huibw wrote:Set one to "ring 1" and the other to "ring 2".
Ring1 Caller:
Ring2 Caller:

What would I type in these text boxes? A phone number? The default values are blank.

Whatever it is, I still have to find a way to route all of my wife's GV incoming calls into the Ring1 Caller category, while pushing all of my GV incoming calls into the Ring2 Caller category.

Ideas?

synchron

Post by synchron » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 pm

MikeTelis wrote:synchron,

Okay, let's get back to your original question. I think that you should at least have two different callback numbers. You might expect that GV wouldn't allow more than one call in progress on the same GV account. In this case, you'll need two different GV accounts, too.
OK, thanks for pointing out the multiple SIP account feature. As far as GV callback conflicting, I quess it won't hurt to make another GV account to avoid the few times I'm using the Ipod while family is using the phone, all through GV.

Thanks, Synchron 8)

synchron

Post by synchron » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanx, Mike T!!

Looks like things are working great!

Not sure if there is too much redundancy but now, under one owner I have 2 sip accounts with 1 bind to ATA and the other bind to Ipod Touch, 2 registrations checked - 1 for each SIP account, 2 dialing plans with same incoming logic and each GV callback going to a different provider, and now 2 seperate GV phone numbers/accounts with each account ringing the right device based on the registered contact pointing to the right Sip account.

It's probably doable with the one SS Sip account and 2 GV numbers (with one sophisticated DP) but this is probably the best simple way to avoid conflicts, both for incoming and outgoing calls.

Synchron 8)

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:35 pm

synchron,

didn't you face with a problem passing caller ID to extension? I mean, if a call arrives at "syncron1" SIP account (suppose you have ATA registered to it) and you need to "duplicate" this incoming call on your "syncron2" where you have your iPod, you should be able to see caller ID on ATA but not on the iPod.

Thanks to Aaron, now we know how to deal with this issue:

Passing caller ID information to an extension

synchron

Post by synchron » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry, that wasn't me and as far as I can tell, my 2 Sip accounts under the one SS ownership are working great with both GV DID's being seen on all calls dialing out and all GV callbacks.

Synchron 8)

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Probably it was misunderstanding on my part. I thought that you use dialplans to "duplicate" incoming calls arriving to one SIP account to the other, and vice versa.

Say, you have ATA registered to syncron1 and iPod registered to syncron2. Incoming calls to GV1 (1st Google Voice account) go to syncron1 and incoming calls to GV2 ring on syncron2. Then if you need incoming calls to either number ring both ATA and iPod, you need to use sys.Dial("syncron1@local&syncron2@local") and I you should be having caller ID problems at this point.