GoogleVoiceSMS

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
jvwelzen

Post by jvwelzen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:38 am

Grampa wrote:
jvwelzen wrote:I can't signup it's only avaliable in the US or Canada

maybe a friend of my can give me a vpn connection with an US ip
Is there any reason why you couldn't get a DID from IPKall, forward it directly to your ATA, and then use that to sign up with GV?
Please Explain

I don't understand what you mean

How can you sign up with an ipkall number

LHM

Post by LHM » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Two requirements:

1. US ipaddress at registration to GV with Gmail.
2. GV forwards to US DIDs only. IPKall has free US DIDs and will forward via SIP to your ATA for phone # verification. A least one PSTN DID# is required to be registered.

Grampa

Post by Grampa » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:21 pm

LHM wrote:Two requirements:

1. US ipaddress at registration to GV with Gmail.
2. GV forwards to US DIDs only. IPKall has free US DIDs and will forward via SIP to your ATA for phone # verification. A least one PSTN DID# is required to be registered.
I wasn't aware that they check the ip address when signing up for Gmail or GV. That may make it more difficult. Since people are able to transfer invites, I don't think you need to sign up from the address to which they sent the original invite. But you would still need to mask the ip address from which you do sign up.

Also, it will probably cost you something to get IPKall set up. You would want to make a few test calls to make sure that the phone rings and that you have audio. That would mean making calls to a U.S. number. In addition, GV often has problems receiving the DTMF tones necessary to verify the number. I found that I needed to change the DTMF settings on my ATA a couple of times before GV could hear the tones and accept the number.

LHM

Post by LHM » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm

DTMF rfc2833 or AVT should work. (AVT and rfc2833 are both the same)

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Also, it will probably cost you something to get IPKall set up. You would want to make a few test calls to make sure that the phone rings and that you have audio.
Test calls are not really necessary, you can use Google Voice's "verification call" for this purpose. The thing is that GV is willing to repeat verification calls as many times as you want. So, if something's wrong with audio or DTMF, just hangup, adjust settings and ask GV to repeat the call :)