A Couple of Suggestions

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
macman4hire

A Couple of Suggestions

Post by macman4hire » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am

First I like to thank Aaron for the development of this excellent application. I am not a programer and would like to install and run Sip Sorcery locally. I was wondering if an installer could be developed to simplify the local installation process.

My second suggestion is for Sip Sorcery to enable peer to peer communication between local users. Once again thank you for all generosity and hard work.

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:17 am

My second suggestion is for Sip Sorcery to enable peer to peer communication between local users.
sys.Dial("SIP_account_name@local")

can be used to call any SIP account there is on Sipsorcery (it will also honor "In" dialplan, associated with that account). Thus, if you know your friend's SIP account name you can call him or her.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: A Couple of Suggestions

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 am

macman4hire wrote:First I like to thank Aaron for the development of this excellent application.

You're welcome.
macman4hire wrote:I am not a programer and would like to install and run Sip Sorcery locally. I was wondering if an installer could be developed to simplify the local installation process.
Yes it could be and I suspect I or someone else will get motivated to do that at some stage. Previously the biggest hurdle to local installs was the lack of a GUI, the mysipswitch GUI required an instance of the IIS web server and was as involved as the mysipswitch service to install. A lot of work has gone into the Silverlight GUI and it solves that problem for most people, some still can't or don't want to install the plugin. That's only happened in the last few months so it's really only now a local installer would actually be of any use.
macman4hire wrote:My second suggestion is for Sip Sorcery to enable peer to peer communication between local users. Once again thank you for all generosity and hard work.
In a previous life I spent a few years working for Intel on a few peer-to-peer applications, they were interested in encouraging them as a way to generate demand for higher powered CPU's. The trickiest part of CPU applications is how peers find each other. If you are running a sipsorcery local instance and your friend also how do you know where each of you should send calls to?

There's really two ways to do it, one you use a central server which means it's not then a strictly peer-to-peer network but a hybrid one. Or two you use an overlay network where peers find each other using broadcasts or some sort of clever rendevous protocol.

The first option is the only viable one for the internet and in this case the prefect central server is sipsorcery.com. If you and your friend are running local installs and both register your sipsorcery servers with sipsorcery.com then you can now call each other so that the audio travels directly between you. Of course you'll have NAT and possibly firewall issues to solve but really there's nothing that would stop you doing peer-to-peer calls right now.

If you wanted to do both audio and SIP signalling in a peer-to-peer fashion you could each register a dynamic hostname with dyndns.org or equivalent. In your local dialplans you could then place SIP calls directly to those dynamic hostnames and again that's possible right now.

Regards,

Aaron