Is it possible to set the CID of Google Voice dial-out?

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
sipsparky

Is it possible to set the CID of Google Voice dial-out?

Post by sipsparky » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Firstly, thanks to Aaron for this neat work and thanks to all for the inspiring discussions!

I do not feel ready to give out my Google Voice number to people yet, thus I wonder if possible to set the CID of Google Voice dial-out to my SipGate number (or even unknown or anonymous). From what I learned so far, it seems out of our control. However, I would love to hear some experts opinions to confirm this.

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Yes, it's out of your control. GV always sends your Google Voice number as CID on outbound calls.

sipsparky

Post by sipsparky » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm

MikeTelis wrote:Yes, it's out of your control. GV always sends your Google Voice number as CID on outbound calls.
Thanks MikeTelis.

GV does not force new users to use a new GV number now. I am just curious what number GV uses as GV HTTP dial-out CID for new users opt to use existing numbers while signing up. Anyone knows about this?

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:03 am

I don't know the answer to your question but suppose GV does send your own (non-Google) CID. What good would it make?

On this help page they say that GV with non-Google number does not support call forwarding and therefore, you can't use such a GV account with sys.GoogleVoiceCall.

sipsparky

Post by sipsparky » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

MikeTelis wrote:I don't know the answer to your question but suppose GV does send your own (non-Google) CID. What good would it make?

On this help page they say that GV with non-Google number does not support call forwarding and therefore, you can't use such a GV account with sys.GoogleVoiceCall.
I didn't know sys.GoogleVoiceCall of SS relies on the call forwarding feature. I thought sys.GoogleVoiceCall generates one HTTP call back request same as the GV web interface does.

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:02 pm

True. but this callback should arrive as incoming call to your Sipsorcery SIP account. Can you do that with a non-Google number?

sipsparky

Post by sipsparky » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:19 pm

MikeTelis wrote:True. but this callback should arrive as incoming call to your Sipsorcery SIP account. Can you do that with a non-Google number?
I see. Thanks MikeTelis!