Integration with Skype?

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
sipsparky

Integration with Skype?

Post by sipsparky » Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 pm

It would be nice if SS can call Skype, and Skype can call SS. It would be even better if Skype can be used as SS trunks.

Has anyone tried SipToSis and stsTrunkBuilder with SS? I am thinking of the possibility of using Skype as trunks for SS callback.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Integration with Skype?

Post by Aaron » Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Skype have a SIP trunk but it has a monthly fee attached to it. If you want to use sipsorcery or another SIP server with Skype you do have the option of pruchasing it and using it just the same as any other SIP Provider. Apart from that there aren't really any robust free solutions.

Regards,
Aaron

sipsparky

Post by sipsparky » Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 am

Aaron wrote:Skype have a SIP trunk but it has a monthly fee attached to it. If you want to use sipsorcery or another SIP server with Skype you do have the option of pruchasing it and using it just the same as any other SIP Provider. Apart from that there aren't really any robust free solutions.

Regards,
Aaron
Thanks Aaron. I wonder if you have looked into SipToSis and/or stsTrunkBuilder?

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu May 27, 2010 1:15 am

Not really but all that class of solutions seem to be just wrappers around a Skype client. That is you have to install the Skype client and then use the Sype SDK to do some fancy conversion to take the call from the Skype client and pass it over to a SIP/RTP stack.

That approach has got a lot of shortcomings, firstly I'm not at all keen on installing the Skype client on the sipsorcery server. Secondly even if the Skype client was installed it would be logged in under one specific account and all calls to or from it would show up as that account, that's very unsuitable for a multi-tentant solution like sipsorcery, users would be continually asking for a way to be able to get their Skype calls to show up as their own and how would the sipsorcery server be able to determine which sipsorcery user an incoming Skype call was for.

The SIP gateway Skype provide is the right technical solution. What's needed is for Skype's philosophy to continue to evolve from building their own closed network to freely inter-operating with the open SIP networks. They are now at least supporting SIP which is a big step from their previous position hopefully at some point they will realise they stand to gain even more by making their SIP gateway free and public or even better just switching their client to be SIP based.

Regards,
Aaron

sipsparky

Post by sipsparky » Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 am

Aaron wrote:Not really but all that class of solutions seem to be just wrappers around a Skype client. That is you have to install the Skype client and then use the Sype SDK to do some fancy conversion to take the call from the Skype client and pass it over to a SIP/RTP stack.

That approach has got a lot of shortcomings, firstly I'm not at all keen on installing the Skype client on the sipsorcery server. Secondly even if the Skype client was installed it would be logged in under one specific account and all calls to or from it would show up as that account, that's very unsuitable for a multi-tentant solution like sipsorcery, users would be continually asking for a way to be able to get their Skype calls to show up as their own and how would the sipsorcery server be able to determine which sipsorcery user an incoming Skype call was for.

The SIP gateway Skype provide is the right technical solution. What's needed is for Skype's philosophy to continue to evolve from building their own closed network to freely inter-operating with the open SIP networks. They are now at least supporting SIP which is a big step from their previous position hopefully at some point they will realise they stand to gain even more by making their SIP gateway free and public or even better just switching their client to be SIP based.

Regards,
Aaron
Thanks Aaron for sharing your insight. I didn't expect to get Skype client installed on SS server. My understanding is that the SipToSis and Skype client can run on SS users PC, and somehow SipToSis registers with SS as Sip Provider. In this way, we can use our own Skype account as SIP trunk. This is feasible with Asterisk based PBXes. I am wondering if it would also work with SS.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 am

If the SipToSis software acts can act as a SIP UAS (receive calls) then sure it should work fine with sipsorcery. I don't have any Skype buddies to call so I've never tried it out but if you give it a shot I'd certainly be interested to hear how you get on.

Regards,
Aaron

enioalves

Post by enioalves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Aaron wrote:Skype have a SIP trunk but it has a monthly fee attached to it. If you want to use sipsorcery or another SIP server with Skype you do have the option of pruchasing it and using it just the same as any other SIP Provider. Apart from that there aren't really any robust free solutions.

Regards,
Aaron
Aaron, what do you say about "osky"?
It is a Gizmo5's Skype gateway and more information can be reached here:
http://support.gizmo5.com/index.php?_m= ... icleid=416

Regards,
Enio

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:13 am

That should work. Looks like you just need to prefix a number/name dialled through Gizmo with skype_ and it will get sent to their Skype gateway. Note I haven't tested it merely looked over the link.

AviMarcus

Post by AviMarcus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I doubt that's still working.
And it seems gizmo5 is shutting down. I got what looked like a termination email from them stating that.. "we will no longer be providing service starting on April 3, 2011."
Help document SIP Sorcery on the wiki!
If you solved an issue you were having or figured out how to do something, please share on the wiki! It will save everyone lots of time and frustration.

mnipp

Post by mnipp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm

I added a method to receive and send skype calls through sipsorcery in Use Cases viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3779
billion 7404VGP
dialplan (<9*:*>[0-9*][0-9*].T<:@sipbroker>|[0-9*].T)