***'d passwords

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
jschwalbe

***'d passwords

Post by jschwalbe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 am

When I love something, I think about it all the time.. *Looks around to see if wife is watching..* ..which is why I'm always thinking about SS. ;)

I was wondering: is there is a good reason why in the SIP config screens the passwords are all in plaintext? I like to show off SS to friends, but I don't like to show off my password(s). Perhaps I'm missing an obvious reason, but it seems like it might be a good idea to show the passwords as ***** instead of 88fpass3kfd. Any thoughts?

Sorry if this subject has been asked before, but on a cursory search I saw no such question.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: ***'d passwords

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:48 am

Do you mean the SIP account and SIP provider passwords? They are hidden until you mouse over them.

jschwalbe

Re: ***'d passwords

Post by jschwalbe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am

Yes, those are the ones I'm talking about. In addition to being visible on mouseover, I noticed that if I double click on them and open the "edit panel" (for lack of proper terms?), they are visible even without mouseover. But I guess what I was wondering is, is it helpful or necessary to have it show the password even on mouseover? It seems to leave a large security gap for such an otherwise well-tuned machine.