Using SS with a personal static IP Address

New features you'd like see on SIP Sorcery
wilbert

Using SS with a personal static IP Address

Post by wilbert » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am

Hi,

Is there any way to contract my own IP Address with SS? Some Services requires me to register my IP Address and today I'm forced to build my own VM/Server somewhere else which really I do not like. It would be great to have the Option to contract in SS my own static IP.

Wilbert

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Using SS with a personal static IP Address

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 am

No unfortunately that's not something that's practical with the way the sipsorcery software and service work. It would be easier to set up a completely stand alone instance which is the equivalent of having your own VM/server.

wilbert

Post by wilbert » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am

I really don't like to move away from ss. It's my understanding that the only thing I need is a Sip/Proxy somewhere else. Or maybe just a sip server.

Does anybody know any 3rd party services I can use?

I was just testing installing an Asterisk server on a AWS instance but honestly, I do not need such complexity today. Therefore, if I'm forced to build my own instance:

Does anybody knows any easy SIP server I can install?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:06 am

Two SIP proxy products that would be worth a look are http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/sip-proxy/ and http://www.brekeke.com/sip/. Both run on Windows which while not a virtue in itself normally means configuration and install will be easier.

The issue you'll probably encounter is while it may not be too bad to get the SIP Proxy up and running you'll soon encounter scenarios where you need to customise things just a little bit and then you'll have a steep learning curve to get to grips with how the SIP Proxy and SIP work. And if you have audio issues it just gets worse.

I'd estimate running a single user SIP server is roughly 5 to 10 times as much effort as running a web server (if it's multi-user it's more like 100 times).