Help with basic dial plan

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
kwmike

Help with basic dial plan

Post by kwmike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi, I have a ss/sg line fronted by a GV number. I would like to create a a basic dial plan that would forward all incoming calls to another GV
number. I am having trouble understanding if or how this could be done.
After doing very basic research I think I need a sys.Dial or sys.GVCall command in my in call script
area.
Alternatives:
a)forward all calls to a GV number or
b) forward all calls to a pstn.

With a) I used
sys.GoogleVoiceCall GV_USER, GV_PASS, CB_NUMBER, $1, ".*", CB_NUMBER =~ /^1747/ ? 7:1, 30
with the appropriate variables.
GV intercepted with their voicemail for the incoming line and no forward.

b) PSTN routing sys.Dial("1xxxxxxxxxx@local")
It did not seem to work. Not sure of the right format or existence of pstn routing.
I have an ipkall number available if that would help with the solution.

Any insight to get me going in the right direction is appreciated.
Thanks

MikeTelis

Re: Help with basic dial plan

Post by MikeTelis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 pm

kwmike wrote:With a) I used
sys.GoogleVoiceCall GV_USER, GV_PASS, CB_NUMBER, $1, ".*", CB_NUMBER =~ /^1747/ ? 7:1, 30
with the appropriate variables.
GV intercepted with their voicemail for the incoming line and no forward.
How did you set $1 variable??? It should contain the destination phone number...
b) PSTN routing sys.Dial("1xxxxxxxxxx@local")
It did not seem to work. Not sure of the right format or existence of pstn routing.
sys.Dial("1xxxxxxxxxx@local") forwards the call to local (Sipsorcery) SIP account named 1xxxxxxxxxx. Most certainly this account does not exist, that's why the call failed.

Generally, you need a VoIP service provider to forward your call to a PSTN number (regardless of what kind this PSTN number is, Google Voice or just a regular cell / landline telephone). You can employ Google Voice for this purpose but:

a) It should be some other (3rd) Google Voice account because your "incoming" GV is busy handling incoming call and "receving" GV account will be busy handling forwarded call

b) You're going to lose caller ID information of the original caller

c) Voice quality is likely to suffer

All in all, it seems that what you're doing is an overkill. What you are trying to achieve, from practical point of view?

kwmike

Post by kwmike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:56 pm

I have two lines.
Line 1 is GV1-> Gizmo/ATA and is used for all incoming calls backed by GV voicemail
plus occasional outgoing calls.
Line 2 was magicjack and now is GV2-> SS-> SG/ATA and is only used for outgoing calls. Line 2 is working great. (Thank you, SS)
I would like to forward all incoming calls on line 2 to line 1 so that all voice mail and further routing is in one spot.'
Users now get the GV2 number in the line 2 outcall dial plan as callerid and many just hit redial to callback. With MagicJack I could permanently
forward that number for incoming calls to GV1. I wouid like to accomplish the same using ss.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes, it makes perfect sense but unfortunately, impossible to accomplish the way you want, with caller ID being the main roadblock: you're going to lose it if you forward incoming call from one GV account to the other.

I would use the following solution:

1. Configure GV2 to forward all voicemails and text messages to linked GMail account.
2. On that GMail account set up a filter forwarding all "Google Voice" messages to your GV1 GMail address.
3. On GV1 GMail settings enable "Google Voice player in mail". It's in the Settings / Labs and it enables you to playback GV voice mails without having to login to GV.

This way, all incoming calls (to both GV1 and GV2 numbers) will ring your ATA. If you don't answer the call, it will go to Voice Mail of corresponding account and then will land at your GV1 GMail box. You can read transcriptions and/or play voice mails in one place, exactly what you wanted. All text messages will also land in one place.

If you accept this plan, here is how you set up the filter. Login to GMail using GV2 credentials, go to Settings / Filters and enter the following into "Has the words" field:

from:voice-noreply@google.com OR from:txt.voice.google.com

On the next screen, tick: "Skip the inbox", "Forward it to:" (enter GV1 e-mail address) and "Delete it".

The only inconvenience is that you'll have to setup the greeting(s) on both GV accounts and keep Contacts in sync (if you want caller's name to appear in e-mail). With Google sync, it's not that difficult :)

kwmike

Post by kwmike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks for the quick help, I am going to try to break it down and absorb all the moving parts.
About losing the callerid forwarding to gv1 from gv2, I dont really care. This is a personal line and the callers
have been told not to use callerid for callbacks. They are given the GV1 number for that purpose either directly
or in any vm.
If the loss of callerid was acceptable, does that mean that there is a way to induce gv (dialplan command,etc) to forward gv2 to gv1
and if so could you give me an example and any other limitations call quality etc?
Also, recently (last 3 days) neither gv1, which was not changed by adding ss to gv2, or gv2 is getting callerid for
incoming calls and both are getting incoming ring start delays of up to 5 secs compared to google chat. I think GV and maybe gizmo/ata are
having problems and I have reported this changed behavior to them.

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:00 pm

kwmike wrote:If the loss of callerid was acceptable, does that mean that there is a way to induce gv (dialplan command,etc) to forward gv2 to gv1
and if so could you give me an example and any other limitations call quality etc?
Yes, it's possible. You'll have to create a new GV account for that (because both existing will be busy) and forward using it's credentials in sys.GoogleVoiceCall. Of course, you'll also need a fresh DID (or use IPKall you already have).

Frankly, I wouldn't even try, considering that Google Voice has hard-coded 25 sec Voicemail time-out. It's going to take several seconds until incoming call to GV2 reaches Sipsorcery, plus it will take time to initiate GV call (forward from GV2 to GV1) and yet, it will take some time to reach your ATA. I guess you'll have no more than 15 sec to answer that call and most certainly you'll miss it.

Note that GV2 voice mail will always have priority, because its VM timeout will expire first.

The other option is to get paid forwarding (for example, subsribe for Future-nine) and use them for forwarding but it means you'll have to pay $0.01/min for each forwarded call. Sure you still want it? ;-)

kwmike

Post by kwmike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

The silence you hear is me alternately scratching my head and stroking my chin. Thanks for all the
good knowledge. I will probably try the forwarding of vm technique that you detailed over the next few days.
Thanks again.

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:38 pm

This solution has been working for me for at least a year (actually, I copied my own settings to the post). So, I don't anticipate any problems on this path :-)