New accounts ... and Moonlight instead of Silverlight?

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
owkaye

New accounts ... and Moonlight instead of Silverlight?

Post by owkaye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:41 am

I want to configure a new SIP Sorcery account to work with Google Voice so I can make free outgoing calls. I already have a sipgate account and an ipkall account and I understand that I can use either or both of them with SIP Sorcery. But I do not see a register / signup link or form on the SIP Sorcery website ...

Are new accounts disabled? If not, can someone post a link to the signup form, because for the life of me I cannot seem to find it!

In anticipation of my goals I already installed a Firefox add-on called "Moonlight" which is supposed to replace Microsoft Silverlight on Linux. I did this because I read that Silverlight is required when configuring SIP Sorcery. Has anyone successfully used Moonlight instead of Silverlight on Ubuntu?

SIP3120

Re: New accounts ... and Moonlight instead of Silverlight?

Post by SIP3120 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Never got moonlight to work. New Accounts info on page that you must use Silverlight to view.
Limited version now available http://sipsorcery.wordpress.com/

owkaye

Post by owkaye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for the response. In light of the problems I encountered and the time I feel I wasted trying to understand and access your service, I think your website could be better if you would post notices on your home page that:

1. new accounts are available only at eBay for a fee
2. your service is not available to users of Linux desktop computers

A link on your home page that leads to your demo site would help, too.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Fair comment. I'll add those points to the FAQ.

AviMarcus

Post by AviMarcus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Nope, moonlight didn't seem to work on ubuntu for SIPSorcery.
You can use the new ajax gui though: https://www.sipsorcery.com/ajax/
Help document SIP Sorcery on the wiki!
If you solved an issue you were having or figured out how to do something, please share on the wiki! It will save everyone lots of time and frustration.

owkaye

Post by owkaye » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 am

Well, since accounts are not available unless I bid on one -- and win the auction -- and since winning the auction seems to require spending $25 or more, I think I will be better off spending one cent per minute for the next 2500 minutes of outgoing calls. It could take me years to go through 2500 minutes, and by then something better may come along. Who knows?

The bottom line is that SIP Sorcery might be the ideal solution for people who have different calling patterns than me, but now that I've had time to think about it (and implement another solution) I feel like I would be wasting my time trying to pursue a SIP Sorcery solution.