Not understanding the basics

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
Information

Not understanding the basics

Post by Information » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Ok , im playing with VOIP

I am struggling to understand the basics , Im hoping to find someone who cn take me under their wing and be patient for a short while , while i start to understand what services such as Sipsorcery and PBxes are all about .... I guess i know what they are designed to do ... getting them to do it is my problem
lets start with what a DID ?

and this image gives impression you use VOIP equipment to actually log into the SSserver , i got impression these voip HUBS were more about forwarding calls about ...if you do log in say with a grandstream , where the details to actually log in with ?

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Not understanding the basics

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm

DID stands for Direct Inward Dial. Wikipedia has a description.

In regards to how you connect to sipsorcery (or the equivalent pbxes or voxlaot services) you do login directly to the sipsorcery server with your ATA or IP Phone. You can think of that side of things as exactly the same as connection to any old SIP provider. You put in your username, password and server and register with sipsorcery.

The additional bit that sipsorcery provides revolves around SIP Providers, often called trunks. You can configure sipsorcery with your SIP Provider details which will allow you to receive and make calls from those providers VIA sipsorcery.

So now you have you IP Phone registered with sipsorcery and a bunch of SIP Providers configured. THe final piece is the sipsorcery dialplan which controls how calls from your IP Phone will be routed amongst your SIP Providers. You can think of the dialplan as the glue between your sipsorcery SIP Accounts and the SIP Providers you have configured in sipsorcery.

Information

Post by Information » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks Aaron

Interestingly , having read that wiki , it sounds like DID might have been what i was originally looking for in the first place , i have 4 websites , i wanted to see in advance where the calls where coming from , my solution was a grandstream 2020 with 6 lines and 4 different phone numbers ... if i have read that DID wiki correctly that might have done ?

Ok i have tried to use the GS2020 to log into the SS server , it does not want to play , im confident it not a SS issue or password/username issue ... sadly it seems to have been the case with this GS2020 that it will NEVER accept more than 2 providers ..i have never got to bottom of why having been looking for a solution for 2/3 years !

Im currently using 1 line for gradwell and 3 with voipfone faultlessly but try and add another "provider"(trunk) and it doesnt want to play ! So working on the presumption i will never overcome that and i have given up on that , could sipsorcery work this way ..... could it register with 6 providers , with 9 incoming numbers and simply forward them onto one to phone number/provider and could SS annouce on the the forwarded calls which number they have been forwarded from , or some way of doing the callersid AND which number the caller called into .

What i am thinking of is obtaining another number from gradwell or voipfone and lets call it my "HUB" line , the other accounts i have , from say sipagte /freespeech/voipuser etc could be forwarded by SS to this hub line ?????

I am working on the presumption here that MULTIPLE phones in different locations could be logged into the voipfone/gradwell servers to receive these forwrded calls , as multiple rining on multiple phones is part of my requirements

Does any of that make sense ............ or maybe theres a far simpler / cheaper / easier way to do it !

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:26 am

Information wrote:Im currently using 1 line for gradwell and 3 with voipfone faultlessly but try and add another "provider"(trunk) and it doesnt want to play ! So working on the presumption i will never overcome that and i have given up on that , could sipsorcery work this way ..... could it register with 6 providers , with 9 incoming numbers and simply forward them onto one to phone number/provider and could SS annouce on the the forwarded calls which number they have been forwarded from , or some way of doing the callersid AND which number the caller called into.
Yes that's pretty much the primary use case for sipsorcery. Although you won't be able to do a call announcement as sipsorcery doesn't get involved in the aduio side of things just the signalling (there are way to implement the call announcement using services like tropo or anveo in conjunction with sipsorcery). You can easily customise the callerid so you can see which DID the call originated from.