Is SIPSorcery suitable for me?

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
Bedlore

Is SIPSorcery suitable for me?

Post by Bedlore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 am

I'm a fleeing voxalot user, previously we have used voxalot to manage our small work from home company. I've created a premium account with SS and have just spent an hour or two poking around but I'm unconvinced this will work for us mainly because we have 2 company admins who share the work through-out the week. Generally speaking admin1 works M,Tu,F and admin2 works W,Th but not always and that's the catch it seems. For creating fixed rules SS seems very powerful, but for allowing computer semi-literate person login and redirect calls to a different person looks clumsy. (ie. excessively technical). Under voxalot they could simply enable / disable pre-existing rules which were quite understandable for them.

The switchboard concept looks great for us but without an simple way for them to switch when they like its not going to fly. Can others tell me if this isn't going to work or there is a way I can configure things better. And worst case, recommendations for a provider more suitable would be appreciated.

Thank you

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Is SIPSorcery suitable for me?

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 am

For your two admins scenario it sounds like you could create two separate dialplans and the different admins could set the required dialplan on their SIP account when they started work. That's a single setting change or at most two if both the incoming and outgoing dialplans need to be changed.

The SimpleWizard does now have the ability to activate and deactivate rules in the same manner as Voxalot but given you may not be able to use Silverlight that may not be of much use to you.

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 am

Thanks Aaron, I'll endeavor to setup a working test-bed and see what reaction I'm met with :)

MikeTelis

Post by MikeTelis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 am

May I suggest using a database record as the "switch" ? I mean, you create and change a database key with sys.DBWrite and the dialplan is using this key to find out who's on duty and forward calls accordingly.

You can use a special number to change the key. For example, **1*12345# would set admin 1 as active (1 - admin number, 12345 - password).

This dialplan should be easy to create. If you feel like you need something more sophisticated, you can use Tropo for "admin change IVR" and make it send https request to SS (using webcallback) to change DB record.

affinity

Post by affinity » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:54 am

I've seen in the wiki (I think it was there), a dial plan that was quite complicated, doing different things at different times of the day -- this could surely be extended to do different things depending on the presence of one or other "scheduled" admin.

Other interesting things in that large dial plan included blocking all sorts of potentially expensive calls. Anyway, the flexibility with ruby scripting is phenomenal to say the least. But this flexibility brings plenty of potential complexity as well.

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks guys, I'm starting to see the power SS brings to the table, as I'm in a corner time-wise and new to all this I've PM'd Mike to try and solicit his services, hopefully he needs some new-year beer money :)