Forwarding Sipgate to GV

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
mbaya

Forwarding Sipgate to GV

Post by mbaya » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have searched high and dry for this info but cannot find it so I am asking.

Is this possible? sipgate -> SS -> GV

I have a UK Sipgate used purely for incoming which works fine and rings my ATA but I wondered if there was a way to forward this to my GV as well so that when I am not home I can receive these calls on my cellphone/office phone etc. I am aware that in general sipgate charges to forward and i am trying to avoid this by using some form of a PBX. Dial plan?

Thanks

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Forwarding Sipgate to GV

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:35 am

You can forward calls you receive on sipgate to any destination you like. However if you want to forward to Google Voice the only option you have is to use the US number that's associated with your GV account, i.e. there's no SIP option. If you have a provider that includes free US calls you could use it to forward or you could theoretically set up a second GV account with a second callback number and forward for free but that could quickly get you tied up in circles...

mbaya

Post by mbaya » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Aaron wrote:You can forward calls you receive on sipgate to any destination you like. However if you want to forward to Google Voice the only option you have is to use the US number that's associated with your GV account, i.e. there's no SIP option. If you have a provider that includes free US calls you could use it to forward or you could theoretically set up a second GV account with a second callback number and forward for free but that could quickly get you tied up in circles...
Hi Aaron,
Thanks for the late night answer. So if I get that - you are saying I cannot use SS to do that but will have to use sipgates native forwarding (paid) only as GV numbers does not have a SIP URL? Correct?

raj2ras

Post by raj2ras » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Pretty easy. Once you get the calls into SS, you can forward them anywhere you like using any SIP/VOIP provider. You just have to find a cheap/free provider for US termination. There are 100s of them.

Rather the GV, why not just use SS to forward calls? You can do everything GV does and more.

mbaya

Post by mbaya » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks everyone. More research for providers then. Thanks!