New User Question

Getting started with the SIP Sorcery
rjp1267

New User Question

Post by rjp1267 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm

I am new to this site which was discovered after I was searching for a way to manage my apple products for incoming/outgoing calls and as an alternative to my phone service which is bundled in my cable service. I will make what I am looking to do short as possible so as not to waste too much time in the event I am in the wrong place.

Issue1:
I want to send and receive calls from mobile devices that are equipped only with wifi. I would like to have VM for these devices as well as being able to manage forwarding and such.

Issue2:
I want to drop my phone service from my cable bundle and possibly go to an VOIP based service. I do not want to have to invest in equipment such as a PBX to do this, if necessary I can invest in a small VOIP switch, PC based software at a reasonable cost or use an old Cisco router with RJ11 and Cat5 interfaces.

Is either possible with the SIP Sorcery plans?
What would be required?
What would the call quality be like?
Is there a significant savings over the bundled service we rarely use?

Thank you for your feedback.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: New User Question

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

It sounds like what you are after is a standard VoIP package that can replace your existing phone service. The sipsorcery service does not really fit the bill for that since we don't offer either outgoing call termination or incoming DIDs that would allow people to call you from the regular phone network.

If you google for "VoIP Provider" you'll find lots of options, one recommendation if you are in the US is callcentric.com.

rjp1267

Re: New User Question

Post by rjp1267 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Thank you, i kind of figured that after having read some of the info on your site.

With that said can you tell me or point me in the direction of a tutorial or other basic info as to what i will need to accomplish this and what to look for.

Since i am also looking to include wifi devices as well as analog phones and reduce any need for expensive equipment purchases or rentals and reduce costs and pay only for outbound usage i would like to know what my options are.

Thank you.