Multiple registrations on one account?

Support zone
trottm

Multiple registrations on one account?

Post by trottm » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Can I register both lines of my PAP2 to one account? I would use a different port for each registration e.g. 5060 and 5061.

gbonnet
Site Admin

Post by gbonnet » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:05 am

Hi,

Don't register twice the same account. You'll notice strange things :)

If you need two lines, you need two SIP accounts.

HTH
Blueface [url=http://www.blueface.ie/]Phone[/url] Service

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Multiple registrations on one account?

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 pm

trottm wrote:Can I register both lines of my PAP2 to one account? I would use a different port for each registration e.g. 5060 and 5061.
Actually this is ok with the sipswitch. You can register as many lines/devices as you like with a single account.

Hth,

Aaron

pablo

Re: Multiple registrations on one account?

Post by pablo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:25 pm

Aaron wrote:Actually this is ok with the sipswitch. You can register as many lines/devices as you like with a single account.

Hth,

Aaron
That could be an interesting feature.

Can the multiple Sipswitch registrations be behind the same NAT and share one public IP address, or will they work better if on different public IP addresses ?

If an incoming call is sent to multiple devices registered to the same account, will there be any different behaviour in the 2 cases indicated above (behind the same IP or behind a different public IP address)?

My expectation would be that the call will be set up to the first IP device answered, hopefully with 2 way conversation established.

Thanks

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:20 am

Hi pablo,

There should not be any problem having multiple devices registering from behind the same NAT. The only case that could cause problems is if a particular NAT used the same public socket for all internal communications destined for the same external socket (I believe this used to be referred to as a static NAT). However that type of behaviour is flawed and highly unlikely to be found in any router built or upgraded in the last 2 or 3 years.

As far as SIP signalling (or any protocol that needs to initiate communications from hte server side) then the order of preference for client IP's is:

1. Public static IP address,
2. Public dynamic IP address,
3. Anything else.

With multiple devices registerd an incoming call should ring them all and the first one that answers will get the audio.

Hth,

Aaron