About IP address

Support zone

About IP address

Post by 200765 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 am

Hi,
I am using sipsorcery to do calls with some Dellmont SIP providers. As anybody well knows, it is very easy to face the ill-famed "FUP exceeded" with Dellmont, especially when one registers the SIP phone not directly to the provider, but through a proxy server used by other people.
As far I have understood, this shouldn't happen with sipsorcery, because sipsorcery uses my IP address to register the SIP provider.

Do you confirm my understanding? Is there some instruction / rule that I have to use with sipsorcery to be sure that I register to the SIP provider with my own IP?

I'm asking this because often I'm charged for calls to "free" destinations and I don't understand why. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not in sipsorcery (also because the FUP occurs also registering the SIP phone directly to the Dellmont provider), but I wish to have an authoritative confirmation from you.

P.S. Well, I should ask these questions to the technical support of Dellmont, but it is lost time: they never answer.
Best regards
Alberto

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: About IP address

Post by Aaron » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am

The REGISTER request that goes from sipsorcery to your provider uses the sipsorcery server's IP address, there's no way around that. Providers such as Betamax that impose limits based on IP address won't work work very well with sipsorcery since there are potentially multiple users getting counted for the single IP address.

There were some tricks tried between mysipswitch/sipsorcery and Betamax such as setting a P-src-ip header to the end user's IP address but that didn't really work and ultimately unless you can get some kind of resolution from the provider in question you're likely to have issues using them with sipsorcery.

Post by 200765 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear that...
But does it exist a possibility to use a PBX software without this FUP problem?
I heard that one could use a dedicated HW (ATA device). But this is not usable with a mobile phone.
Alberto

TheFug

Post by TheFug » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 pm

200765 wrote:Sorry to hear that...
But does it exist a possibility to use a PBX software without this FUP problem?
I heard that one could use a dedicated HW (ATA device). But this is not usable with a mobile phone.
Alberto
Most luck you will have with voip server software running on your own IP,
or you might look in to Voxalot, but also there FUP is not perfect.
or have your own hardware with multiple voip/sip accounts,
in the form of a pro IP phone, Fritz!box, or Dect-IP basestation & handsets,
A Fritz!box is critical concerning it's firmware, also watch out for Snom IP phones, they use multiple passwords,
which are easily mixed up, and make controling a Snom phone not an easy task.
Thanks, The Fug.

gear: my ISP's Zyxel Modem/Router in bridge, Sitecom WL309 Router, Siemens Gigaset 301D