No linux love?

Support zone
Bedlore

No linux love?

Post by Bedlore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 am

Hi all
I've just signed up (jumping from voxalot before the scuttling). It seems all the GUI friendly bits (wizards & switchboard) are built in silverlight which confuses me (isn't sipsorcery built on *unix tools) isn't HTML5 a better future path? Anyway, I begrudgingly decided to install silverlight (Mint 12 64bit) but found Firefox 8 unsupported by silverlight currently, I then installed chrome and while it does install silverlight upon trying to switch the the silverlight portal it keeps displaying the "to view this content please install silverlight, blah".

How can I bypass this?

Thanks

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: No linux love?

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 am

No sipsorcery is built on .Net (C#) so Silverlight is a good fit. In fact the switchboard in particular is able to use the exact same C# SIP stack that the sipsorcery server uses thanks to Silverlight.

The Silverlight sipsorcery components were initially developed in 2008/2009 which is before HTML5 started to gain traction and before the jQuery caused javascript to become fashionable again. As to whether HTML5 is a better option it's certainly a question that's occurred to me as well. Not that there's anything in HTML5 that the main Silverlight portal needs but what HTML5 is likely to do, along with the likes of jQuery, is improve the developer tools for writing browser based javascript applications, which is something that is still severely lacking.

However that's all hypothetical and in the future and is not going to help you much. If you want to make use of the SimpleWizard or Switchboard then there is no way to do so without Silverlight. I haven't done any testing on Linux so I cannot say whether it will work or not.

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:59 am

But I did use a successful silverlight install on Chrome. Perhaps the silverlight detection on linux isn't working.

wildsip

Post by wildsip » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 am

I have a got sipsorcery local version to run on linux with mono. It took a bit of work, but it works great now. I had to fix some issues with file paths, SSL certificates and google voice. I use the xml config / mysql db and have not tested the web service interface.

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 am

Well done, but I'm guessing there is no silverlight used on your installation.