New web callback feature question

Support zone
ozimarco

New web callback feature question

Post by ozimarco » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Thank you very much, Aaron, for the new web callback feature in the Ajax portal. Clean and fast!

One thing I found was that, with the first leg being one of my SIP accounts and the second leg my mobile, when I hung up the phone before the mobile answered, the mobile kept ringing forever, so it's obviously not getting the BYE request. Is this expected behaviour?
ISP: Telecube ADSL2+, $79 for 250GB (bundled with phone) on regional Telstra exchange
VSPs: MyNetFone, Telecube, Maxotel, Freshtel and others via SIPSorcery
Hardware: Asus DSL-AC68U + Siemens Gigaset A580IP and Yealink T22P.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: New web callback feature question

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 am

It's not desired behaviour. It could be said to be expected behaviour as I didn't code that scenario into the Callback application. I'll add an issue for it.

ozimarco

Post by ozimarco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 am

Aaron wrote:I'll add an issue for it.
Thanks, Aaron. Also, when you pick up the phone, there is no ringing tone in your ear while you are waiting for the other side to answer. In other words, you don't know whether the system is trying to call or not. There is just perfect silence until either the other side picks up or you get an engaged tone if the other end aborts the call or it times out. Is it possible to make it so we can hear the ringing tone while it is trying to connect?

LOL, I can hear you swearing under your breath! What was that? Something about Voxalot refugees? :)
ISP: Telecube ADSL2+, $79 for 250GB (bundled with phone) on regional Telstra exchange

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 am

That ones a lot trickier. The only way the sipsorcery server can ever get your device to generate a ringing tone is by sending it a 180 SIP response, that's what happens while waiting for a Google Voice callback. However once a call is answered, as in this case, the only way to get some audio to you is with a media server sending some RTP audio to your device. Since sipsorcery by design does not have those capabilities that it can't do.

The alternative would be when setting up the first call leg to make it between some external media server that generates a bit of music or a radio station or something. That would give you some comfort noise but would not provide any progress indication on the second call leg.

An really clever alternative would be for the sipsorcery server to re-invite the first call leg to different external media server end points depending on the SIP response it got back from the second call leg. So for instance when it could play some music while waiting for a response on the second call leg and then when the 180 ringing response was received it could re-invite the first call leg to a different media server end point that was playing some kind of ringing tone.

On the SIP side of things all that wouldn't be as hard as it sounds but finding a company running a media server who would be prepared to deliver the media streams in that fashion would be difficult. I'll make some inquiries but don't hold your breath on this one.

ozimarco

Post by ozimarco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm

It all sounds very difficult to accomplish, Aaron, so don't worry about it. At least, the feature works well and we do get a busy tone when the second leg fails to answer. As long as people understand how it operates, there shouldn't be any dramas.

Thanks again for the feature.

raj2ras

Post by raj2ras » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Mark,

I am sure Tropo can be used as the "intermediate" . It does sorcery with the media channels. The Tropo recipe is a great way to understand the posibilities. Numbers (as Custom SIP headers) can be passed to tropo and back to ss

-Raj

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 am

Yes Tropo could probably do it but at 3 cents per minute (and that's probably 3 cents minimum per call) the two call progress indications could end up costing 6 cents per callback which in most cases would far outweigh the cost of the callback legs themselves!

raj2ras

Post by raj2ras » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Aaron,

Did not think it thru. I was assuming Tropo to be used just for playing feedback/audio while SS does calling via providers. Like the Tropo recipe you have provided. Tropo does not initiate any PSTN calls, only SIP.

1. SS passes the 2 custom SIP URIs to Tropo.
2. Tropo calls one SS SIP leg, play music/feedback, then bridges the call to the other SS SIP leg.

These SIP calls are processed by SS using custom incoming dial-plans. Maybe too complicated or not technical possible.