No Incoming Calls to softphone (Blink) after a while

Support zone
okyere

No Incoming Calls to softphone (Blink) after a while

Post by okyere » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:33 am

Since Monday (1/9/2012), when I turn on my soft-phone (Blink), I can see it registered in the Sip Bindings under 'Sip Accounts'. I can make and receive incoming calls just fine.
However after some 15 to 20 minutes, it disappears from the sip bindings in the portal although Blink is still running and I have my sipsorcery account active.
When that happens, I can still place calls with Blink but there are no incoming calls. I believe that has something to do with the disappearance of it from the Sip Bindings in the portal.
Is it something I may be doing wrong? Is it a problem with my softphone application (Blink)? I have used Blink for almost as long as I have had my sipsorcery account but this problem started just this week. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: No Incoming Calls to softphone (Blink) after a while

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Try turning on NAT keep-alives in your sipsorcery SIP account configuration and/or reducing the register expiry on the softphone down to 10 minutes.

okyere

Post by okyere » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I have 'Keep Alive' checked in my Sipsorcery sip configuration.

In Blink, I have these defaults under SIP Settings;

Register interval: 600 seconds
Publish interval: 3600 seconds
Subscribe interval: 3600 seconds

I'm guessing that Register Interval refers to the 'register expiry' you were referring to in the previous post.
If it is, then 600 seconds will be 10 minutes as you suggested.

Are there anything else that I may consider to remedy this? Thanks Aaron.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 pm

The issue is being caused by your router timing out the connection between your softphone and the sipsorcery server. If the NAT keep-alive and regular registrations aren't enough to force your router to keep the connection open the last resort is to set up a port forward on it. A port forward will result in the router always forwarding traffic received on a specific port to your softphone and should mean incoming calls can always get through.

okyere

Post by okyere » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks Aaron. Before I try the port forwarding, I wanted to tell you about an observation I had. In the Sipsorcery account configuration, I unchecked the 'Keep Alive' option. Since then, it has not timed out. It has been on for more than five hours now. I'll keep observing it to see. If it happens again, I'll go ahead with the port forwarding. Thanks.

jack9901

Post by jack9901 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 pm

This is something off topic. I remember the keepalive interval over TCP connection is the same 10s as over UDP. I had a thought maybe it can be longer like 10 or 15 minutes over TCP without introducing extra complexity or load to the server. Mkae sense? :D

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 am

To achieve the same thing you could turn the NAT keep-alives off and set your register expiry to 10 or 15 minutes. Since the register request comes from the private side of your NAT it's better than a keep-alive from the server anyway.

okyere

Post by okyere » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks guys.