Incoming Call Not Working From Pennytel

Support zone
Sharky

Incoming Call Not Working From Pennytel

Post by Sharky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 am

I am not Receiving any incoming calls from from my pennytel account. Its showing registered But I see no signs of incoming calls in the console. Outgoing calls are working fine. Other accounts to the same username are working fine. and if I register direct to pennytel on other devices I receive the calls fine. From what I can tell everything should be working. I've been on the phone with pennytel many times to no avail. I don't want to admit to them that is only through sipsorcery that I am having this problem. I have two accounts with them and had to unregister one from sipsorcery just so I could have one working incoming line.

This is starting to drive me nuts, the setup used to work just fine and I'm not sure what has changed, or when for that matter as have not used it for months. I've tried the sip address as ip's and dns and nothing seems to make a difference. It used to go straight to voicemail and pennytel made some changes not it rings a few times before going to voicemail, but never on the receiving line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sharky

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Incoming Call Not Working From Pennytel

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 am

I've had another user report a problem with Pennytel calls and from the looks of it they have some known issues they are working on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2017857. Hopefully they'll get the problem fixed by tomorrow.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

This seems to be a different problem as I can make calls from pennytel to other landlines and mobiles fine without them dropping. And I've been dealing with pennytel and they have supposively made changes to my account but to no avail. Still no incoming calls through sipsorcery while when registered direct to my device it works fine. whether it is a result from the same problem I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it. When talking to support(pennytel) staff it seems that the registry from sipsorcery keeps going on and offline, but on my side it just shows registered the whole time. They've tried making phone calls when registered to sipsorcery on there side but still no luck.

I have multiple user names under my account and sending the call to different ones makes no difference, either does using a incoming calling plan or none. But I see no trace of the call through the console, so this would explain why.

Other providers are wotking fine through my sipsorcery accounts and pennytel works fine on its one but together they have been pure frustration.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 am

In the other user's case the problem was that Pennytel are setting "sipsorcery.com" as the host part of the URI in the From header for calls that are forwarded from Pennytel to sipsorcery. When "sipsorcery.com" is used as the host portion in the From header it causes the sipsorcery server to treat the call as an outgoing one and challenge the request. This behaviour is how 99% of call authentication is done in the SIP World and has been that way for the near decade I've been involved with SIP. Why Pennytel have started setting a sipsorcery host and username in the From header is a mystery and I can't see any practical value in them doing that; the From header should be as the name suggests and indicate who the call is From, the To header could and should include the sipsorcery host and username and that will not cause any ill effects.

The reason this behaviour will not matter to most ATAs is that they will simply accept any SIP request that they receive as an incoming call since they generally never process outgoing calls; for an ATA outgoing calls are only ever initiated from a handset. However softswitches such as Asterisk et al this behaviour will also break them or at the very least require special configuration such as setting up IP address peering.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm

This sounds like it could be the cause alright, if this is the case does anyone have a pennytel account working for incoming calls with sipsorcery right now? If so whats the work around? I tried registering the pennytel account through pbxes.org first and then forward that to sipsorcery. But it still didnt work.

Is this.something that we can change on the sipsorcery side to accept the header? or is the only way to get pennytel to change the headers?

It still puzzles me as to why on the console I can not see any trace of the call even though its registered to pennytel, maybe I'd better have a closer look to see if there is something reported at least as an outgoing call.

If it Is pennytel causing the problem there must lots of sipsorcery users having this Issue.

ozimarco

Post by ozimarco » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 am

Sharky wrote:If it Is pennytel causing the problem there must lots of sipsorcery users having this Issue.
Sharky, you are not alone. I am having exactly the same problem with incoming calls as you. I used to be able to receive incoming calls until a couple of months ago, when incoming started to fail or at least become unreliable. Anthony, the PT rep, got it working once, but, when it failed shortly afterwards, I became frustrated and registered my two PT accounts directly in the Gigaset IP phone, as being able to receive calls is important to us. In the meantime, I continued to make calls via PT and SIPSorcery without registration. A few days ago, outgoing calls started failing, too, probably because, after this latest PT upgrade, they now insist on accounts being registered. So I registered the PT accounts in SS, which caused a problem with calling 888 numbers. Now, that issue appears to be resolved.

Yesterday, Anthony looked into the incoming calls issue. He could see there was a problem at their end, a 'Forbidden' message. However, he didn't know what to make of it but promised that, on Monday (tomorrow, the 3rd of Dec), the techs would be having a look at it and, if necessary, work with Aaron on a fix. I told him I would be available for testing if required. I am really keen to get this working
ISP: Telecube ADSL2+, $79 for 250GB (bundled with phone) on regional Telstra exchange
VSPs: MyNetFone, Telecube, Maxotel, Freshtel and others via SIPSorcery
Hardware: Asus DSL-AC68U + Siemens Gigaset A580IP and Yealink T22P.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:37 am

Thanks for the update ozimarco,

That's my problem exactly with the incoming calls, I have also been reading about the recent upgrades, and about having to be registered for outgoing calls now. Although I haven't had issues with outgoing calls, as being my account is registered.

I guess we'll just have to wait for Anthony and Aaron to work things out as for the incoming calls . In the meantime, I have my penytel account registered with sipsircery and have incoming calls forwarded to an old iinet account and linked that one through sipsorcery.

ozimarco

Post by ozimarco » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 am

I actually sent Anthony a link to this thread and asked him to read the 4th post, the one Aaron wrote, which may be helpful to them. If I don't hear from them tomorrow, I will give Anthony a reminder. Incoming calls work with other VSPs that I have registered in SS, so there should be no reason why Pennytel should be any different. They are obviously doing something wrong. Let's hope they get to the bottom of it.
ISP: Telecube ADSL2+, $79 for 250GB (bundled with phone) on regional Telstra exchange

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 am

If any Pennytel technicians do read this thread I can be contacted directly about the issue on aaron@sipsorcery.com.

ozimarco

Post by ozimarco » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:15 am

I have some news but I'm afraid it's all bad. Anthony spent some considerable time testing today but we couldn't get incoming working. He was told by their platform provider not to pursue this any longer. They said they prefer not to deal with a third party like sipsorcery as, in case of fraud, they can't see the IP address of the originating party.

Unfortunately, due to the incompatibility of the new Pennytel setup with SS, this service (SS) is no longer of much use to me so I think I will cancel my subscription and just register some of my VSPs directly in the Gigaset.