Viber

Support zone
rod178

Viber

Post by rod178 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 am

Viber is a free mobile phone app (Android, iOS, etc) that facilitates free calls between Viber users over WiFi and 3g etc.

It seems far more transparent than Fring etc. A vast number of mobile phone users seem to be on Viber.

Question - has anyone been able to integate Viber(incoming and outgoing calls) into Sipsorcery?

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Viber

Post by Aaron » Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 am

I used viber once or twice but I never spotted anything to do with SIP in its interface. As far as I know viber is like Skype and runs a completely closed network using their own, or at least undisclosed, protocols.

rod178

Post by rod178 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Aaron

I only recently started using Viber and was astounded to find that the majority of my mobile contacts were on Viber. Free mobile calls = "Thank you very much". I suspect that in the near future the majority of mobile to mobile calls will be over the data network (eg 3g) via such services as Viber.

I also suspect you are correct that Viber does not use the sip protocol. Follows is my recent communication with the Viber Team. Note that there are plans for a Desktop version.

==========================================
Mobot <noreply@mobot.net>
May 5 (1 day ago)

to me
Hello rod178,

"ViberTeam" has posted a response in a thread you have subscribed to, "Can you get Viber for Windows Phone 7?":

----
Any update on when Viber will release the Widows 7 port?

Also, does Viber use the sip protocol? I'm interested in whether or not it is possible to integate Viber (eg redirect calls in and out ) into Sipsorcery

PS works well on Android, although I prefer direct integration with the Android contact list. Would that be possible in the future?
Hi,
When you say Windows 7 port, do you mean Desktop? If so, know that we're working in that direction :)

We haven't yet published the protocols we use, nor have we published API for outside SIP integration. We're thinking about it and might have news in the future regarding this.

Lastly, about the integration to Android's contact list - Viber currently does not integrate with Android's native contact list unfortunately. In future versions we hope to bring back this feature, and once we have news we'll let you know.
We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.
----

You may view this post at http://www.mobot.net/view?c=56547

rod178

Post by rod178 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:45 pm

following on from the above post - Viber today announced the release of Viber for the Desktop (Windows and Mac)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 25174&p=54