Trouble Registering GETONSIP as provider

Support zone
lowellww

Trouble Registering GETONSIP as provider

Post by lowellww » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I am trying to register GETONSIP as my provider on sipsorcery. When I connected to this service directly using my SPA-1001 phone adapter it would only successfully register if I specified both getonsip *dot* com as the server and sip *dot* onsip *dot* com as the outbound proxy. I don't see any option to do this on the sip provider portal and was wondering if there may be a workaround? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Registering GETONSIP as provider

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 am

The settings I use for getonsip are:

Username: myuser
Server: sip.onsip.com

Advanced Settings:

Realm: getonsip.com
Auth Userbane: getonsip_myuser

Flip

Outbound VSP VoIP Register Issue (Outbound Proxy, SIP Server, Realm, Auth User Name, OB Proxy / OOB Proxy)

Post by Flip » Mon May 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Could you PLEASE update the documentation to include all common / uncommon SIP Server configuration requirements. i.e. Outbound Proxy / OBProxy / OOB Proxy?

If an Outbound Proxy is not required:
> SERVER Field == "SIP Server";
> REALM Field == Empty;

If an Outbound Proxy is required:
> SERVER Field == "Outbound Proxy";
> REALM Field == "SIP Server";

Spent half an hour searching and found a single topic from 2013!
Thanks...
Aaron wrote:The settings I use for getonsip are:

Username: myuser
Server: sip.onsip.com

Advanced Settings:

Realm: getonsip.com
Auth Userbane: getonsip_myuser
Last edited by Flip on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
ISP: Southern Phone ADSL2+ $55 Bundle. 22.4/1.2Mbps, GB Bundle [Telstra].
VSP: SIPTalk¹, Symbio² & MyNetFone³ via SIPSorcery Cloud PBX. [Warning! Avoid DIDLogic!!! Beware!!]
H/W: Asus RT-AC86U; Cisco SPA232D, 2 x SPA901's, SPA3102; Yealink SIP-T46G.

Flip

Outbound VSP VoIP Register Issue (Outbound Proxy, SIP Server, Realm, Auth User Name, OB Proxy / OOB Proxy)

Post by Flip » Mon May 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Documentation also seems to be inconsistent.

All fields exist except "Outbound Proxy". Click screenshot
Advanced Settings are additional settings that are not normally required but that can be used to refine the SIP Provider interaction.

- Outbound Proxy: If set overrides the SIP Provider Server setting for call requests.
- Auth Username: If set overrides the SIP Provider Username setting when responding to authentication challenges.
- From Header: If set overrides the default header that is set for new calls to the SIP Provider. The default From Header for a SIP Provider is: username@server. Changing this setting has ramifications for authentication as most SIP Providers use the username portion of the From Header to identify users. An example that allows modification of display name portion of the From Header and that leaves the username and server intact is: "Your Name" <sip:username@server>.
- Register Expiry: The number of seconds to request for the binding expiry when registering with the SIP Provider. Can be between 60 and 3600.
- Register Realm: If set overrides the SIP Provider Server setting when responding to authentication challenges.
- Register Server: If set overrides the SIP Provider Server setting for registration requests.
- Custom Headers: An optional list of SIP headers that will be added to register and call requests made with the SIP Provider. Values must be entered as valid SIP headers, an example is: P-src-ip: 127.0.0.1 or User-Agent: my user agent.
VSP: SIPTalk¹, Symbio² & MyNetFone³ via SIPSorcery Cloud PBX. [Warning! Avoid DIDLogic!!! Beware!!]

Flip

Re: Outbound VSP VoIP Register Issue

Post by Flip » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:53 am

G'day Aaron,
Scenario's such as AUTH User being required; AUTH User differs from the SIP user name; Outbound Proxy server or IP required; different OB Proxy IP/server to SIP server required; SIP Server and Outbound Proxy differ - i.e. one an IP (OB Proxy) and a FQDN (SIP Server), and etcetera....

Scenarios dependant on VSPs:
- User name, password and SIP server required;
- User name, password, Outbound proxy and SIP server requied;
- User name, Auth user name, password and SIP server required;
- User name, Auth user name, password, Outbound proxy and SIP server required;
- etcetera...

Just would be great if this was in the documentation and formalised, as it is not obvious what to disregard or what you still have to configure - e.g. realm. Only learnt about that this week! :)

Also, some examples on how to get MWI to work and typical field configuration for it to work correctly?

Q: Do you plan to support SRTP secure VOIP communications through SS?

Thanks Aaron!

Flip wrote:Could you PLEASE update the documentation to include all common/uncommon SIP Server configuration requirements??

If an Outbound Proxy is not required:
> SERVER Field == "SIP Server";
> REALM Field == Empty;

If an Outbound Proxy is required:
> SERVER Field == "Outbound Proxy";
> REALM Field == "SIP Server";

Spent half an hour searching and found a single topic from 2013!
Thanks...

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Outbound VSP VoIP Register Issue

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:31 am

Flip wrote:G'day Aaron,
Scenario's such as AUTH User being required; AUTH User differs from the SIP user name; Outbound Proxy server or IP required; different OB Proxy IP/server to SIP server required; SIP Server and Outbound Proxy differ - i.e. one an IP (OB Proxy) and a FQDN (SIP Server), and etcetera....

Scenarios dependant on VSPs:
- User name, password and SIP server required;
- User name, password, Outbound proxy and SIP server requied;
- User name, Auth user name, password and SIP server required;
- User name, Auth user name, password, Outbound proxy and SIP server required;
- etcetera...

Just would be great if this was in the documentation and formalised, as it is not obvious what to disregard or what you still have to configure - e.g. realm. Only learnt about that this week! :)
It's not feasible to maintain a list of configuration options for different providers. There are some sites, such as http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Sip+ ... +Providers, that provide a public wiki that providers and users can edit but even then if you are having problems configuring a provider you will need to check their site to find the settings they require.

It's worth noting that in a very high proportion of cases (80 to 90%) all you need to set for a SIP provider are the username, password, server and if registering the Register Contact.
Flip wrote: Also, some examples on how to get MWI to work and typical field configuration for it to work correctly?
You can tick the "Subscribe for MWI" checkbox under a SIP Provider's advanced settings. If the SIP Provider supports MWI then that's all that you should have to do.

Flip wrote:Q: Do you plan to support SRTP secure VOIP communications through SS?
Since the sipsorcery server does not deal with media it will work with SRTP descriptions in call requests. It will pass the call request through to the remote destination and then it's up to the two SIP endpoints to negotiate the SRTP parameters over the media channel. In other words if your SIP devices supports SRTP and the destination you are calling through sipsorcery supports SRTP then it should work fine.

Flip

Post by Flip » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 pm

RE: Scenario's
Yes, but it's those 10% - 20% that take up the majority of the requests for help. Having those examples documented, screenshots optional, would save your time and have lots of happy customers recommending SIP Sorcery!

I think you misunderstand. Not for each and every provider, simply what fields need to be configured if AUTH ID or OB Proxy is required, or both - because the fields then change their purpose. i.e. SIP Server changes to the OB Proxy Server instead and Realm as SIP Server.
So simply what needs to be configured for: Simple SIP Server, OB Proxy, AUTH ID/User, OB + AUTH ID, plus custom port numbers.
So essentially 4-5 examples. Or if the cat can be skinned differently, then show simple + advanced examples. (as per custom header for OB proxy).

RE: SRTP
Oh that's great. So it automatically takes care of it, despite havin the device configured for SIP Sorcery... Interesting.
So TLS and SRTP will work without a hitch. Thanks.

RE: MWI
Well it works directly with the ATA. But i just get errors in the log plus the Cisco ATA 'purr' sound or SPA901 Phone light is permanently on for MWI. That's why I asked about configuration. e.g. sip:sip.sipsorcery.com, or sip:user@sip.sipsorcery.com, or without "sip:". Basically so that multiple accounts MWI can be accessed or dealt with... I am unsure what the setting should be and whether a custom address needs to be specified.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 am

I've tidied up the documentation on the SIP Providers page http://www.sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/SIPProviders to help with the confusion.

All the Advanced Fields can be considered to be mutually exclusive. So setting the Auth Username does not result in an Outbound Proxy or any other setting being required.

I've just checked my own SIP Provider accounts of which there are over 50. There is only one where I have a custom SIP header set and that's ippi.fr. That case was elaborate enough to justify a set up guide http://www.sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/SkypeIppi.

Regarding MWI checking the box means that an MWI subscribe request will be sent to the SIP Provider. Any notify requests from the SIP Provider will be sent to the Register Contact set on that SIP Provider, i.e. the NOTIFY requests get forwarded exactly the same as INVITE requests would (with no incoming dialplan). It's a very simple forwarding mechanism.

Flip

Re: Outbound Proxy & Auth ID

Post by Flip » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Good work Aaron. ;)
Thank you for updating the docs.

I gotta say, I still haven't had a chance to test or attempt to get the outbound proxy working for a VSP. If you do not use the OB Proxy you cannot register multiple devices to the same account. i.e. mobile device, softphone and ATA/Deskphone. So in this case a sip.xyz.com must be used for SIP Server and 12.23.34.45 for the OB Proxy. All four VSPs I use either don't support or make AUTH ID optional. e.g. MyNetFone are optional for AUTH ID / Authorisation User Name.
So REALM = Sip Server && SERVER = OB Proxy? Right?

You have FIFTY SIP Accounts? Geeezus! I have only 10 (personal) plus a dozen client accounts for testing.

Well MWI just constantly comes up in errors. Configuring SS with ATA, i get the MWI purr when I pickup the phone to make a call, indicating unread messages located at one of the VSPs. But when I disable MWI at SS and reboot the ATA, it and other IP Phones think messages are waiting, as the red light is on... Weird! I'll just disable in the ATA and on SS. I'll rely on email notifications.
Oh well.. Nice if you could press *xxx and ring the VSP that has an active MWI active. That would be great if it would just dial that account, rather than having to guess.
Doesn't matter... Far from critical.

Cheers!
Aaron wrote:I've tidied up the documentation on the SIP Providers page http://sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/SIPProviders

I've just checked my own SIP Provider accounts of which there are over 50. There is only one where I have a custom SIP header set and that's ippi.fr. That case was elaborate enough to justify a set up guide http://sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/SkypeIppi.

Regarding MWI checking the box means that an MWI subscribe request will be sent to the SIP Provider. Any notify requests from the SIP Provider will be sent to the Register Contact set on that SIP Provider, i.e. the NOTIFY requests get forwarded exactly the same as INVITE requests would (with no incoming dialplan). It's a very simple forwarding mechanism.