Android Native SIP client, 1-way audio on 3G

Support zone
gkrawiec

Android Native SIP client, 1-way audio on 3G

Post by gkrawiec » Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 am

Hi. Any idea why I might be getting 1-way audio when on android(kitkat)->sipsorcery->anveodirect when over a mobile data conection? Over wifi it works fine, but over data it does not. There arent many options on the native client to fiddle with, so I am kind of stuck. I tried on sipsorcery the ma=false option but it made no difference. The problem happens on incoming as well as outgoing calls. (i also have another voip provider and tested on that one...same problem).
Any suggestions? I know csipsimple works (2-way audio) but causes some other problems on my phone so I am trying to avoid it.
thanks,
-gk

gkrawiec

Re: Android Native SIP client, 1-way audio on 3G

Post by gkrawiec » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi, I am still looking for a solution to this.
gkrawiec wrote:Hi. Any idea why I might be getting 1-way audio when on android(kitkat)->sipsorcery->anveodirect when over a mobile data conection? Over wifi it works fine, but over data it does not. There arent many options on the native client to fiddle with, so I am kind of stuck. I tried on sipsorcery the ma=false option but it made no difference. The problem happens on incoming as well as outgoing calls. (i also have another voip provider and tested on that one...same problem).
Any suggestions? I know csipsimple works (2-way audio) but causes some other problems on my phone so I am trying to avoid it.
thanks,
-gk

Any help will be appreciated.
thanks,
-gk

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 am

Audio problems with SIP are related to NAT. There are normally a few different things you can try but most of them involving trying different settings on your router. With a 3G connection you don't have access to the router.

The links below go into the nitty gritty of SIP and NAT.

http://kb.smartvox.co.uk/voip-sip/sip-nat-problem/
http://kb.smartvox.co.uk/voip-sip/sip-devices-nat/

gkrawiec

Post by gkrawiec » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 am

Hi aaron, as i had mentioned. The difference is in the client. With Csipsimple there is 2 way communication,
but with the android native sip client there is not.
the android client is very limited, not many options to set. I was wondering if sipsorcery could be used to overcome the limitations.
thanks,
-gk

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 pm

The only thing that can be done at the SIP level (which is therefore also the only thing sipsorcery can do) is to manipulate the IP address in the SIP call request.

The ma=false option tells the sipsorcery to change its default behaviour of mangling any private IP address found with the public IP address the call came from.

What most SIP clients and servers will do is assume that the IP address in the call request could be wrong and switch the socket they are sending the audio to as soon as they receive the first packet. That works because the SIP provider will generally always be on a public IP address. If a client is being strict and will only send or receive packets from the socket in the SIP request then one way audio is more than likely to occur.

So unfortunately apart from the ma=false option there is nothing else the sipsorcery server can influence.

gkrawiec

Post by gkrawiec » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:50 am

Seems that I finally solved this. I am now using sipsorcery's sip account as a trunk in pbxes.org and then my client is connecting to pbxes.org. Since pbxes has all ports open and does not bypass audio by default, it seems to work.
-gk