incoming calls to MyNetFone DID - hitting a brick wall

Support zone
lpgmt-sysadmin

incoming calls to MyNetFone DID - hitting a brick wall

Post by lpgmt-sysadmin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 am

Hi Aaron,

Since my last post (on another topic), I've had great success with setting up my dialplan for outbound calls (and learning Ruby in the process). At around 200 lines of Ruby code it's starting to get reasonably sophisticated. So that's all good.

Today I tried to get inbound calls working. After reading the docs and trying everything I can think of, I'm still unable to even get the console to indicate that an incoming call is triggering any activity on sipsorcery's servers. So I'm not getting far! :-(

Here's the details and what I've done so far:

The inbound call route is a PSTN DID linked to SIP VOIP account I hold with MyNetFone (MNF). In this particular case I'm only using this SIP account for incoming calls, so at this point I don't even have this account in SS as a provider.

Using a SIP client, I can directly register to the MNF account and make outgoing calls. I can also receive inbound calls to the SIP client by calling the PSTN DID number. In other words, the MNF account seems to be working great.

Naturally, everything I do from this point on is with the SIP client not running (to avoid simultaneous registrations or failure to register with SS)

Based on my interpretation of the docs, in order to get inbound calls working I needed to first create an entry in the provider list in SS. I did exactly that. The "SIP provider bindings" list and the console both confirmed successful registration to the MNF SIP account.

According to the docs as I understood them, I needed to create a specially formed entry for the "Contact" field in the provider configuration to cause incoming calls to be handlied by the nominated inwords dialplan of a specific SS SIP account. I did that.

However, after doing all this when I try to place a test call to the DID number (obviously from a telephone unknown to SS), the call is completely unsuccessful. When I say completely unsuccessful I mean:

- When I originate the call froma PSTN telephone, I get a "this number is not connected" recorded response. However, if I configure MNF to forward when not answered or unavailable to voicemail, attempts to call the number go straight to voicemail.
- in every case I was watching the SS console (without filtering) and although the console was reporting successful registrations by the SS provider to the MNF account, there was absolutely no other sign of life concerning an incoming call.

Just to be sure there wasn't some intermittent problem unrelated to my SS setup, I removed the provider entry and ran my SIP client connected to that MNF account, then called the DID number again and... you guessed it... the SIP client rang just like it should.

I searched the forum for MyNetFone and couldn't find anything that indicated that there were special problems with this provider and SS (other than you must enable registration in the provider entry, which I have done), so I'm guessing it's something obvious I've overlooked but I've exhausted every avenue I'm aware of.

To save time, I'll PM you my account name and related details in anticipation of your assistance.

Many thanks

John

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: incoming calls to MyNetFone DID - hitting a brick wall

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am

Either MNF don't like the length of the user portion of your register contact or they don't like the '.' character in it.

I've shortened the register contact on your MNF account and incoming calls do now get through.

As an alternative to the long register contact approach you were using you can create a dedicated SIP account specifically for receiving calls, for example mnf-youruername@sipsorcery.com and then use an incoming dialplan to forward calls to the actual device you want the calls to go to.

lpgmt-sysadmin

Post by lpgmt-sysadmin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Aaron,

Thankyou for getting to the bottom of this for me. Much appreciated.

Best regards,

John

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi lpgmt-sysadmin what SIP client are you using?

Bump