How do you count SIP providers?

Latest news about SIP Sorcery
mackeev

How do you count SIP providers?

Post by mackeev » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 am

Hi, Aaron,

I remember when you started talking about sipsorcery going freemium (or whatever you called it) it was like "one dialplan, one REGISTERED sip provider" for free users. I figured at the time that if a provider allows outbound calling without registration, sipsorcery would have no issue with it (the way voxalot does). So, I could have a bunch of providers, like betamax clones, that do not require registration. And I also thought that GV would not count as a sip provider (it's just outbound, no registration).
It seems I was dead wrong!
I left only one registered provider and GV in my sip providers list. When I try to initiate a GV call, it won't call back and I see error 480 in the event log (temporarily unavailable). When I tried to change the phone number in GV settings (having read about issues with GV), it would not let me.

Is it a technical problem (continuing mishaps with GV) or you just changed your mind about the freemium concept altogether?

Thanks.

Aaron
Site Admin

Re: How do you count SIP providers?

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 am

The freemium model has always been a limit of one SIP Provider, registered or not, for Free accounts.

mackeev

Post by mackeev » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:15 am

I'm not meaning to nitpick, but, technically, GV is NOT a SIP provider, is it?
Thank you for a prompt reply.

Aaron
Site Admin

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 am

It's not if you're using it via sys.GoogleVoiceCall in your dialplan. It is if you create a Google Voice provider entry on the SIP Providers screen.

I suspect what you are attempting to do is to place Google Voice calls on a Free service level. You can do it and the typical set up you'll need is to create a single SIP Provider which is the callback provider your Google Voice calls will be using. You will then need to use sys.GoogleVoiceCall to place calls in your dialplan instead of sys.Dial("googlevoiceprovider"). Essentially the trade off here, and for some other sipsorcery features, is extra time and effort getting your sipsorcery account configured as opposed to things being easier on the $35/year Premium service level

mackeev

Post by mackeev » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Thank you, Aaron.
You kinda anticipated my next question about possibility to use sys.GoogleVoiceCall with a free account. I'd been using it from the very beginning and then switched to sys.Dial and forgot all about it.
It's good to know it's supposed to work.